This article is about the boss. For the Slayer monster, see Smoke devil
The thermonuclear smoke devil, often referred to as Thermy, is the boss version of the smoke devil, found in the Smoke Devil Dungeon. These require a minimum of 93 Slayer to kill. Located at the Smoke Devil Dungeon south of Castle Wars, the Thermonuclear smoke devil can only be attacked on a smoke devil task, with the exception of one kill for the Western Provinces Diary (provided that the player has 93 Slayer without boosting).
It is the only monster to drop the Smoke battlestaff and the pet smoke devil. Their non-boss variants also has a chance to drop the occult necklace, but at a lower drop chance.
A dwarf multicannon cannot be used inside the boss room. If attempted, the cannon will be destroyed (similar to areas like at KBD or KQ).
Drop rates estimated based on 79,084 kills from the Old School RuneScape Wiki drop log project, unless otherwise cited.
An average Thermonuclear smoke devil kill is worth 21,189.
|Red d'hide body||1||3/128||6,057||6,738|
|Mystic air staff||1||3/128||25,114||25,500|
|Mystic fire staff||1||3/128||25,110||25,500|
|Pure essence||300 (noted)||5/128||600||600|
|Molten glass||100 (noted)||2/128||15,100||100|
|Mithril bar||20 (noted)||2/128||13,020||3,600|
|Magic logs||20 (noted)||2/128||19,700||3,840|
|Gold ore||200 (noted)||2/128||39,800||18,000|
|Desert goat horn||50 (noted)||2/128||3,050||350|
|Grimy toadflax||15 (noted)||2/128||29,580||165|
|Onyx bolt tips||12||2/128||97,140||7,200|
There is a 3/128 chance of rolling the gem drop table.
|Uncut sapphire||1||1/170.67; 1/86.67[d 1]||438||15|
|Uncut emerald||1||1/341.33; 1/173.33[d 1]||695||30|
|Uncut ruby||1||1/682.67; 1/346.67[d 1]||1,303||60|
|Nature talisman||1||1/1,820.44; 1/924.44[d 1]||700||2|
|Uncut diamond||1||1/2,730.67; 1/1,386.67[d 1]||2,699||120|
|Loop half of key||1||1/5,461.33; 1/2,773.33[d 1]||9,770||60|
|Tooth half of key||1||1/5,461.33; 1/2,773.33[d 1]||9,756||60|
|Rune javelin||5||1/5,461.33; 1/2,773.33[d 1]||770||1,200|
|Rune spear||1||1/87,381.33; 1/5,200[d 1][d 2]||11,873||12,480|
|Shield left half||1||1/174,762.67; 1/10,400[d 1][d 2]||65,480||66,000|
|Dragon spear||1||1/233,016.89; 1/13,866.67[d 1][d 2]||37,479||37,440|
|19 March 2015
|You can no longer kill Thermy without a slayer assignment if you haven't started the Western Achievement Diary.
|17 July 2014
(update | poll)
|Players can now receive a pet version of this boss after defeating it.
|22 May 2014
- When Thermy drops a clue scroll, it now appears at the correct place on the ground.
- Thermy and the Cave kraken boss now have 'Attack' options, rather than 'Fight'.
- The thermonuclear smoke devil was graphically updated on 27 September 2018 as part of a update. Prior to the update, it was simply a larger version of the smoke devils scattered across the dungeon.
- The thermonuclear smoke devil and the Kraken are the only slayer bosses that can be fought with another player.
- Despite the magic defence bonus of +800, at level one the effective defence against magical attacks is equal to 13,5 magic levels due to the way magic defence rolls are calculated.