Thermonuclear smoke devil/Strategies
The thermonuclear smoke devil is a boss variant of the regular smoke devils, requiring 93 Slayer to kill. Similarly to Kraken, despite its high requirements, the boss fight is mechanically simple and kills are quite quick, reaching 60–100 kills per hour depending on gear and strategies used.
Requirements[edit | edit source]
Recommendations[edit | edit source]
- High combat stats. Although not required, see the skill levels below for an indication of the advised stats:
- If using Melee:
- If using Magic:
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- Use the code BKP, then run north-east to the dungeon entrance.
Run north-west after entering the Smoke Devil Dungeon to find a crevice leading to the section with the thermonuclear smoke devil.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Attack styles[edit | edit source]
- 'Typeless' means that protection prayers will not have any effect.
- 'Magical ranged' means that the attack accuracy is decided by the ranged attack bonuses of the thermonuclear smoke devil and the magic defence bonuses of the player.
- The max hit of this attack is 8.
- The attack is very accurate and has an attack speed of 2 ticks (1.2 seconds).
- The attack range is eight tiles.
Smoke[edit | edit source]
The thermonuclear smoke devil is located in a smoky environment. Therefore players must equip either a facemask or slayer helmet. If none of these items are equipped, the thermonuclear smoke devil will quickly drain the player's hitpoints and stats.
Tips[edit | edit source]
Safespotting[edit | edit source]
The player's magic spells have a longer attack range than the thermonuclear smoke devil. This difference may be utilised by freezing the thermonuclear smoke devil and then moving out of its attack range, so that the player can still attack the thermonuclear smoke devil, while the thermonuclear is not able to reach the player. Powered staves require the use of the longrange attack style for this method.
Redemption method[edit | edit source]
Players with a Prayer level of 49 or higher are able to make use of the Redemption prayer. The Redemption prayer can be used at the thermonuclear smoke devil as a way of restoring hitpoints. When the player's hitpoints are reduced below 10% of their maximum hitpoints while the Redemption prayer is active, the Redemption prayer will use the player's remaining prayer points to heal the player. The number of hitpoints healed is equal to 25% of their Prayer level (rounded down).
Players with a Prayer level of 96 or higher are able to restore 24 hitpoints with the Redemption prayer. Since a prayer restore potion has four doses, each potion could potentially heal 96 hitpoints, which is significantly higher than the best healing regular food (which restores 22 hitpoints), albeit at a significantly higher cost compared to food.
Since the maximum hit of the thermonuclear smoke devil is 8, the player should always stay at at least 9 hitpoints while utilising the Redemption prayer method, to reliably survive all of the thermonuclear smoke devil's attacks. Therefore it is highly recommended to have a Hitpoints level of 90 or higher, to make sure the Redemption prayer always gets activated when the player gets damaged below 9 hitpoints.
Walk-under method[edit | edit source]
The player's attack speed is slower than that of the thermonuclear smoke devil. For every attack that the player performs, the thermonuclear smoke devil performs 2 to 2.5 attacks. When walking under the thermonuclear smoke devil immediately after performing an attack, the player is able to hide from the thermonuclear smoke devil's attacks until they step out to perform another attack. When utilising this method correctly, the thermonuclear smoke devil will only perform 1 attack for every attack the player performs; therefore reducing the damage taken by 50 to 60 percent.
A more advanced version of the walk-under method utilises the fact that NPCs do not move when the player they are targeting is underneath them if the player clicks on an item on the ground or an interactive object (producing a red 'X' when clicked). If an item, such as the ashes that the boss drops every kill, is under it or on the opposite side of the boss from the player, it is relatively easy to walk under the boss and attack on a constant rhythm. This works even with the left-click attack option on. This is easy to do if the item is under the boss' hitbox and not under its clickbox, or if the item is on the opposite side from where you are attacking; simply kill the first one as normal with the walk-under method, then drop the ashes in the south-west corner of the boss' hitbox where it normally spawns. If done correctly, after the next kill, more ashes will be dropped in the exact same tile and you do not have to drop more.
PoH/Nardah method[edit | edit source]
Similarly to the Abyssal Sire, the thermonuclear smoke devil is close to a fairy ring. As such, players can also utilise a similar method for killing the boss. A weapon that can deal very high special attack damage is recommended for this method; dragon claws are useful for this purpose. As the fight is expected to end very quickly, the player brings the best strength-boosting gear they can afford and dumps all specials on the boss, before killing it as normal.
After killing the boss, the player teleports to their house and uses the rejuvenation pool to restore lost health, prayer and special attack.
Alternatively, if the elite desert diary has been completed, the player can use a Desert amulet 4 to restore health, prayer, and special attack and a Quest point cape to teleport close to a fairy ring. This yields more profit with low input cost, with the only costs coming from house tabs if not using the Construction cape and super combat potions. However, kill rates are slower than killing it normally due to the simplicity of the boss fight and its 5 second respawn timer.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
Magic[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Casting fire spells with a charged tome of fire equipped will increase the spell's damage by 50%.
- The occult necklace (+10%), tormented bracelet (+5%), imbued god capes (+2%) and ancestral robes (+2% each) increase the maximum hit of the player's Magic spells.
Equipment upgrades and downgrades[edit | edit source]
Melee[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If not using a scythe of vitur, the recoil damage from a charged ring of suffering (ri) ends up dealing more damage than a berserker ring would help achieve.
- The strength bonus from Bandos chestplate is only worth the extra damage taken if using a scythe; otherwise, armour with high magic defence is recommended for longer trips.
- Bandos tassets usually do not help achieve a damage boost and thus are not worth for most of the kills, although they are recommended to bring for dragon claws' special attack.
- An imbued heart is recommended to increase Magic level, which subsequently increases magic defence.