|Released||30 April 2002 (Update)|
as of 1 December 2022 - update
as of 5 December 2022 - update
Thieving is a members-only skill which allows players to obtain coins and items by stealing from market stalls, chests, or by pickpocketing non-player characters. This skill also allows players to unlock doors and disarm traps.
|Thieving level up - normal|
The music that plays when levelling up.
|Thieving level up - with unlocks|
The music that plays when levelling up and unlocking new content.
Pickpocketing[edit | edit source]
This is the act of walking up to an NPC and right-clicking them, then selecting Pickpocket. If successful, you will gain Thieving experience and possibly coins or various items. However, it is possible for the NPC to notice a pickpocket, in which case the NPC will yell "What do you think you're doing?" or some other surprised saying and hit the player, dealing a small amount of damage and stunning them for several seconds, during which time the player cannot continue pickpocketing or move. Because of the possibility for damage, it is recommended that players bring food - cheap foods such as wine work well.
Coins obtained via pickpocketing are obtained via coin pouches. Players can have a stack of up to 28 coin pouches in their inventory, after which they must open them before they can pickpocket more. Players can quickly open a stack of coin pouches with a single left-click.
Tips & Tricks[edit | edit source]
There is no need to wait until the pickpocket animation is finished before pickpocketing again. Another attempt may be performed as soon as the sound of the item entering the player's inventory is played and the experience is given. Knowing this tip could potentially double a player's experience per hour if they were previously waiting for the animation to finish.
Eating food will extend the time before you can pickpocket again by 2 ticks. To avoid losing time because of this delay, time eating directly after pickpocketing.
A useful trick that allows pickpocket spamming is by going to the Controls (Joystick) settings tab and changing the attack option priority to 'Always right-click'. This effectively changes the left-click option from "Attack" to "Pickpocket" for most NPCs.
For NPCs with a right-click "Pickpocket" option unaffected by the previous tip, such as elves, the player may change their game client layout to "Resizable", then orient their camera so that the NPC is close to the bottom of their screen. In the correct position, the player should be able to right-click to open the interaction menu, then left-click to pickpocket without moving their mouse down to select the option.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
The equipment that a player wears mostly does not affect pickpocketing, aside from several exceptions listed below. Note, however, that equipping a bow without arrows makes it impossible to accidentally attack an NPC. The direction the NPC faces also appears to have no effect.
- Players who wear the rogue outfit have a chance of getting double loot when successfully pickpocketing NPCs. This chance is guaranteed if the full outfit is worn. It does not increase success rate.
- While wearing parts of H.A.M. outfit, players are slightly less likely to be kicked out of the H.A.M. Hideout when failing to pick the pockets of H.A.M. members.
- Gloves of silence reduce your chance of failure while pickpocketing by 5%. Degrade, but can be repaired. Requires Hunter level 54 to wear.
- Dodgy necklace provides a 25% chance to prevent the player from being stunned and damaged while pickpocketing. Has 10 charges.
- Wearing either the Thieving cape or Max cape will provide an additional 10% chance of being successful when pickpocketing NPCs.
Other effects[edit | edit source]
Thievable NPCs[edit | edit source]
Loot from these NPCs is located on their respective pages.
|Name||Level||Experience||Stun time||Stun damage||Notes|
|Man/Woman||1||8||5 seconds||1||Found all around Gielinor.|
|Farmer||10||14.5||5 seconds||1||Commonly found in Lumbridge farms and north of Ardougne.|
|H.A.M. Member||15||22.2||4 seconds||1-3||Wearing H.A.M. clothing reduces chances of being jailed, but does not increase the success rate.|
|Warrior/Al-Kharid warrior||25||26||5 seconds||2||Warriors are commonly found in East Ardougne, as well in the back of the Varrock Palace.|
|Villager||30||8||5 seconds||2||Partial completion of The Feud to use blackjacks.|
|Rogue||32||36.5||5 seconds||2||Found deep in Wilderness south-west of Mage Arena or in far north-east wilderness at Rogues' Castle.|
|Cave goblin||36||40||5 seconds||1||Found in Dorgesh-Kaan after completion of Death to the Dorgeshuun.|
|Master Farmer||38||43||5 seconds||3||Rarity increases with the Farming level of the seed.|
|Fremennik Citizen||45||65||5 seconds||2||Must complete The Fremennik Trials|
|Bearded Pollnivnian Bandit||45||65||5 seconds||5||Partial completion of The Feud to use blackjacks.|
|Desert Bandit||53||79.4||5 seconds||3|
|Knight of Ardougne||55||84.3||5 seconds||3|
|Pollnivian Bandit||55||84.3||5 seconds||5||Partial completion of The Feud to use blackjacks.|
|Yanille Watchman||65||137.5||5 seconds||3|
|Menaphite Thug||65||137.5||5 seconds||5||Partial completion of The Feud to use blackjacks.|
|Vyre||82||306.9||6 seconds||5||Completion of Sins of the Father to access Darkmeyer.|
|Elf||85||353.3||6 seconds||5||Partial completion of Mourning's End Part I to access Lletya.|
|TzHaar-Hur||90||103.4||6 seconds||4||Requires a Fire cape to access the inner city of Mor Ul Rek. Ice gloves are recommended to reduce damage taken.|
Stalls[edit | edit source]
There are a large number of stalls throughout RuneScape, many of which can be found in the Ardougne Market. Unlike pickpocketing, stealing from stalls has a 100% success rate as long as you are not in the line of sight of the stall owner or any of the nearby guards; if you are, the stall owner will call over a guard who will begin to attack you.
After successfully stealing from a stall, their respective owners will refuse to interact the player until 10 consecutive in-game minutes have passed since the last theft from their stall. Time passed while logged out does not count toward removing this restriction. Curiously, this extends to any NPC that owns the same type of stall, not just the one you stole from.
It should be noted that it is possible for multiple players to steal from the same stall, both receiving XP and rewards; provided they do so on the same Game tick.
Thievable stalls[edit | edit source]
Loot from these stalls is located on their respective pages.
Chests[edit | edit source]
There are chests scattered throughout RuneScape. Some chests will have traps on them, which must be disarmed using the Thieving skill in order to loot them. This is achieved by selecting the "Search for traps" option from the drop down menu, allowing your character to disarm the trap and obtain the items inside.
After a player steals from a chest, they will need to wait for a short period of time before they can do so again. If "Search for traps" is not selected when attempting to open a trapped chest, the player will attempt to open the chest and take damage; this damage scales off of your current health down to a minimum.
Thievable chests[edit | edit source]
Loot from these chests is located on their respective pages.
|10 coin chest||13||7.8||East Ardougne, Magic axe hut, Pirates' Hideout, Rellekka, Rogues' Den||7 seconds|
|Nature rune chest[t 1]||28||25||East Ardougne, Pirates' Hideout, Rellekka||15 seconds|
|Isle of Souls chest||28||150||Isle of Souls Dungeon||0 seconds|
|50 coin chest||43||125||Ardougne, Mourner Tunnels, Pirates' Hideout||50 seconds|
|Steel arrowtips chest||47||150||Hemenster, Rellekka, Mourner Tunnels||210 seconds|
|Dorgesh-Kaan average chest||52||200||Dorgesh-Kaan||90 seconds|
|Blood runes chest||59||250||Chaos Druid Tower||135 seconds|
|Stone chest||64||280||Lizardman Temple||0 seconds|
|Ardougne Castle chest||72||500||Ardougne Castle||400 seconds|
|Dorgesh-Kaan rich chest||78||650||Dorgesh-Kaan||300 seconds|
|Rogues' Castle chest||84||100||Rogues' Castle||10 seconds|
- Disabled in Deadman Mode.
Doors[edit | edit source]
Certain doors cannot be opened by players unless the lock is picked. In order to pick a lock, right-click on a door and select "Pick Lock". If the player has the required Thieving level, the door will then be opened. Some doors will require a lockpick to successfully pick the lock.
Pickable doors[edit | edit source]
|Door to 10 Coin Chest||1||3.8||No||East Ardougne; the door to the empty house east of the east Baker's Stall|
|Door to Nature Rune Chest||14||15||No||East Ardougne; the door to the empty house just east of the Gem Stall|
|Ardougne House Door||16||15||No||East Ardougne; the door to the house with the just south of the north bank|
|H.A.M. Trapdoor||1||4||No||East of Draynor|
|Axe Hut Door||23||25||Yes||Level 54 Wilderness; north-east of the Ardougne lever|
|Ardougne Sewer Gate||31||25||No||Ardougne Sewers|
|Pirate Hall||39||35||Yes||Level 54 Wilderness; west of the Mage Arena|
|Chaos Druid Tower||46||37.5||No||North of Ardougne|
|Grubby Chest||57||10||No||Forthos Dungeon|
|Paladin Door||61||50||No||Ardougne Palace|
|Yanille Dungeon Door||82||50||Yes||Yanille|
Other[edit | edit source]
|Name||Level||Exp.||Possible Loot||Stun Time (seconds)||Stun Damage|
|Steal cowbells from dairy cows||15||16||Cowbells||4.8||1 - "The cow kicks you and stuns you"|
|Steal candles from the candle stand, north of the Entrana altar||20||20||Candle||4.8||1 - "A higher power smites you"|
|Steal wire from the Dorgeshuun Wire machine||44||22||Cave goblin wire||4||5|
|Crack wall safes in Rogues' Den||50||70||Coins, Uncut gems||2||2 - 6|
Training strategies[edit | edit source]
- For levels 1-5, pickpocket men in Edgeville (3 coins/pick).
- For levels 5-21, steal cakes from the Baker's Stall in Ardougne. Another option is the tea stall in Varrock.
- For levels 21-55, loot urns at the Pyramid Plunder minigame.[s 1]
- For levels 55-91, pickpocket Ardougne knights. Bandits and Menaphites are also viable.
- For levels 91-99, return to Pyramid Plunder.[s 1]
- For levels 15 and up, pickpocketing H.A.M. Members can prove to be profitable because they can provide clue scrolls; similarly, from level 38, pickpocketing Master Farmers provides a chance to collect valuable seeds.
- For levels 41-49, steal fish in Rellekka (42xp/pick) from the south-west stall standing south of the western most barrel situated there. When attacked by the Market Guards, run south, then north, west and south again around the stall in an anticlockwise direction. Guards are then trapped behind barrels of fish and cannot attack until the player moves away. This can be repeated to trap multiple guards. Cook fish on the fire in the hall with the Quest Icon, (The Fremennik Trials). Once fish are cooked, bank them through Peer the Seer after gaining Fremennik sea boots (Easy Achievement Diary).
Thieving minigames[edit | edit source]
There are a number of minigames which are based on or include Thieving.
- Pyramid Plunder - the desert city Sophanem has a pyramid where you can thieve for artefacts. As you get further into the pyramid, higher Thieving is required but it brings increasing amounts of Thieving experience. This is one of the fastest methods to train Thieving.
- Blackjack - another Thieving activity in the desert.
- Rogues' Den - Traverse a maze with Thieving and Agility obstacles. Modest experience. More interesting for thieves is to open the safes in the dungeon. Good for experience and for the gems that you obtain as loot. Completing the maze also has a chance of rewarding you with the Rogue outfit, which when worn will double the loot you receive from pickpocketing.
- Sorceress's Garden - An interesting game where you dodge guards and try to get fruit. Requires patience, a bit of skill, and experience, but yields excellent experience. It has four levels, each giving increased experience at levels 1, 25, 45, and 65. Bring a pestle and mortar and a large amount of empty beer glasses (can be obtained for free at the shelves in the Sorcerer's house).
- Stealing artefacts - located in Port Piscarilius, players with level 49 Thieving and 75% Piscarilius favour can talk to Captain Khaled to engage in stealing artefacts from those living in the residential district. It's a good way to train Thieving while fletching ammo or alching. Requires a lockpick or a hair clip to steal artefacts, and experience rate scales based on level.
Thieving pet[edit | edit source]
Rocky is a skilling pet that can be obtained when training the Thieving skill. This includes stealing from stalls, pickpocketing from NPCs, picking fruit in the Sorceress's Garden and looting grand gold chests within Pyramid Plunder. The chances of getting it are dependent on the player's thieving level, and the person/object the player is stealing from.
Temporary boosts[edit | edit source]
|Thieving cape||1||Visible||Activating the cape's effect will increase the corresponding skill by 1.|
|Poison chalice||1||Visible||Has a variety of beneficial and disastrous effects.|
|Spring sq'irkjuice||1||Visible||10% run energy boost.|
|Autumn sq'irkjuice||2||Visible||15% run energy boost.|
|Summer sq'irkjuice||3||Visible||20% run energy boost.|
|±0-5||Visible||Depending on type of stew, any skill can be boosted or reduced by 0 to 5 levels randomly.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
Quests requiring Thieving[edit | edit source]
|The Lost Tribe||13||13 , 17|
|The Giant Dwarf||14||12 , 16 , 33|
|Watchtower||15||15 , 25 , 14 , 40|
|Cold War||15||10 , 30 , 30 , 34|
|The Hand in the Sand||17||49|
|Darkness of Hallowvale||22||5 , 20 , 26 , 32 , 33 , 40|
|Death to the Dorgeshuun||23||23|
|Creature of Fenkenstrain||25||20|
|The Dig Site||25||10 , 10|
|The Slug Menace||30||30 , 30 , 30|
|Spirits of the Elid||37||33 , 37 , 37|
|Fairytale II - Cure a Queen||40||49 , 57|
|Temple of Ikov||42||40|
|Land of the Goblins||45||38 , 40 , 48|
|Legends' Quest||50||50 , 50 , 45 , 56 , 52 , 42 , 50 , 50 , 50|
|Mourning's End Part I||50||60|
|A Kingdom Divided||52||54 , 38 , 50 , 35 , 42 , 52|
|Desert Treasure||53||50 , 50 , 10|
|Monkey Madness II||55||70 , 69 , 60 , 55|
|Grim Tales||58||45 , 52 , 59 , 71|
|Dragon Slayer II||60||200 , 75 , 70 , 68 , 62 , 60 , 50 , 50|
Quests rewarding Thieving experience[edit | edit source]
|Tower of Life||500||-||10|
|Creature of Fenkenstrain||1,000||25||20|
|The Hand in the Sand||1,000||17||49|
|Spirits of the Elid||1,000||37||33 , 37 , 37|
|The Giant Dwarf||1,500||14||12 , 16 , 33|
|Death to the Dorgeshuun||2,000||23||23|
|The Queen of Thieves||2,000||20||-|
|Fairytale II - Cure a Queen||2,500||40||49 , 57|
|The Fremennik Trials||2,812||-||25 , 40 , 40 if crafting your own lyre|
|The Slug Menace||3,500||30||30 , 30 , 30|
|Icthlarin's Little Helper||4,500||-||-|
|Darkness of Hallowvale||6,000||22||5 , 20 , 26 , 32 , 33 , 40|
|Land of the Goblins||8,000||45||38 , 40 , 48|
|Grim Tales||25,000||58||45 , 52 , 59 , 71|
|Mourning's End Part I||40,000||50||60|
|Dragon Slayer II||50,000||60||200 , 75 , 70 , 68 , 62 , 60 , 50 , 50|
|Monkey Madness II||50,000||55||69 , 70 , 60 , 55|
Skill choice[edit | edit source]
Upon completing any of the following quests, players may choose to allocate experience to Thieving. These rewards usually come in the form of items, such as lamps or books, and are independent of any experience rewards directly received for completing the quest.
|Skills available||Skill requirements|
|X Marks the Spot||300||Any||None|
|Client of Kourend||500 twice||Any||None|
|Fairytale II - Cure a Queen||2,500||Any skill above 30||49 , 57|
|A Tail of Two Cats||2,500 twice||Any skill above 30||None|
|The Great Brain Robbery||5,000||Any skill above 30||16 , 30 , 50|
|King's Ransom||5,000||Any skill above 50||65|
|Darkness of Hallowvale||2,000 three times||Any skill above 30||5 , 20 , 22 , 32 , 33 , 40|
|A Taste of Hope||2,500 three times||Any skill above 35||48 , 40 , 40 , 45 , 38|
|The Tourist Trap||4,650 twice||10 , 20|
|A Kingdom Divided||10,000||Any skill above 40|| 54 , 52 , 52 , 50 , 42 ,|
38 , 35
|10,000||Any skill above 40||None|
|In Search of Knowledge|
|10,000||Any skill above 40||None|
|Curse of the Empty Lord|
|10,000||Any skill above 50||Some players will need 31|
|One Small Favour||10,000 twice||Any skill above 30||36 , 25 , 18 , 30|
|Recipe for Disaster|
(The final battle)
|20,000||Any skill above 50|| 175 , 70 , 48 , 50 , 53 ,|
53 , 25 , 59 , 40 , 50 ,
40 , 40 , 10 , 10 , 36
|Legends' Quest||30,000 four times|| || 107 , 50 , 50 , 45 , 56 , 52 ,|
42 , 50 , 50 , 50 , 50
|Sins of the Father||15,000 six times||Any skill above 60||62 , 60 , 56 , 52 , 50 , 50 , 49|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|4 May 2017
Corrected some grammar on the message given when attempting to pickpocket without the required level.
|14 May 2015
Filtered some game messages relating to pickpocketing.
|5 March 2015
(update | poll)
You now get the following for the completion of Ardougne Diaries:
|27 March 2014
Rogues' Castle chests now appears in the Thieving skill guide.
|4 July 2019
The Grubby Chest chest door pick-lock now appears in the Thieving skill guide.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Thieving is one of the few skills that does not require any items for training, unless the player is blackjacking.
- Picking locks has a random chance of numbing your fingers, which will result in a temporary debuff to your thieving skill. It takes roughly 1 minute per point lost to wear off.
References[edit | edit source]