Tolna Talvoy is the child of Launa and Brana Talvoy. When he was young, he left home as he wanted something greater than what he had. He heard rumours of a lost civilisation east of Varrock and went in search of it, but when he reached the site, a rift opened up in the ground and swallowed him.
His parents tried to find him, searching for 25 years. Eventually, the rift reopened in either Year 168 or 169 of the Fifth Age, and people began spelunking into it, only to never return. Amongst those to have gone down into the rift was Brana.
An adventurer went down to search for Tolna and Brana. Down there, physical manifestations of Tolna's feelings appeared, and they had to deal with the various angry creatures, the fear reapers, the confusion beasts and the hopeless creatures. When they reached the centre of the rift, they found Brana trying to comfort Tolna, who had been warped into a monster. The adventurer stopped Tolna from killing his father, vanquishing the evil that had corrupted him, and the three of them returned to the surface. He realised his foolishness and made up with his parents, and remained by the rift to warn people of the danger and to guide them to the combat arena that had appeared.
A player battles Tolna in order to restore him to normal.
The dungeon's power morphed Tolna into a three-headed abomination who is killed in the final part of the quest. All three heads must be defeated. They are poisonous and easy to defeat for their level. In addition, if a player poisons one head, then all the heads are poisoned.
Each of the three heads, while having the same stats and defence bonuses, have varying attack styles and attack speeds that differ depending on whether the player is within melee distance of the heads. For example, the eastern head does not use melee attacks while the other two heads do.
||7 (every 4.2 seconds)
||8 (every 4.8 seconds)
||5 (every 3 seconds)
||20 (every 12 seconds)
||3 (every 1.8 seconds)
- Tolna's monster form has no chathead. Instead, his dialogue is spoken in the style of being told as a statement.
- Despite its attack appearing to be one of magic, it is a range attack rather than magic. This is similar to the belief that the Penance Queen uses a magic attack when it is actually a ranged attack.
- Tolna are similar to the dead hands in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. However, they have no main body like the dead hand.
- Despite Tolna's eastern head never using melee attacks, casting Monster Examine on it reveals that it has a slash attack that attacks every 6 ticks.
- Tolna's northern head has the slowest known monster attack speed of any NPC, attacking every 12 seconds when the player is out of its melee attack distance.
- ↑ Tolna, "A Soul's Bane", Old School RuneScape. "I can't live with your rules any more. Mother. I'm tired of working hard for very little money. There's great wealth that's mine for the taking!"
- ↑ Tolna, "A Soul's Bane", Old School RuneScape. "I managed to find the remnants of the ancient civilisation that the stories talked about. It seems people used to worship a god there years ago in numbers far greater than a simple cult following. Sadly there is little remaining so I have nothing else to tell. As soon as I entered this area the ground swallowed me whole."
- ↑ Launa, "A Soul's Bane", Old School RuneScape. "No. You see I haven't seen him for... for.... 25 years now."
- ↑ Brana, "A Soul's Bane", Old School RuneScape. "Sorry, but your mother and I... tried so hard to find you!"
- ↑ Launa, "A Soul's Bane", Old School RuneScape. "Oh I wish I knew for sure.... All I do know is that it opened seemingly by itself few months ago. It was first discovered by the students over at the digsite, a few of which have gone down there, but never returned. They told me about it straight way."
- ↑ Launa, "A Soul's Bane", Old School RuneScape. "My husband [Brana] went to look, but he hasn't returned for days."
- ↑ Tolna, "A Soul's Bane", Old School RuneScape. "I was foolish to ignore my parents' warnings when I ran away that day. Luckily I've been able to patch things up with them so they've returned home with peace of mind."
- ↑ Tolna, "A Soul's Bane", Old School RuneScape. "I've decided to keep open the rift. There is a part of it that is perfectly laid out for combat training and remnants of my subconscious remain in there. I want to show people the problems I have faced, so that they may learn from them. You're welcome to go down there and practice fighting any time."