Trees are the most common scenery found almost everywhere around Gielinor, and can be chopped down to provide logs and 25 Woodcutting experience.
There are several varieties of regular trees in Gielinor - a double canopy tree with round leaves, a single canopy with a pointy tip, and a small single canopy tree with darker bark found exclusively in Great Kourend. Of these, only the single canopy varieties are able to fill a bucket of sap when using a knife on it with an empty bucket in your inventory. Other than their appearance, they can also be distinguished by their examine text and the icon that appears on the minimap, with the double canopy tree showing a round tree icon, and a pointy-tipped icon for the single canopy variety.
The 'basic' tree category also includes the dying tree, dead tree, evergreen, and jungle tree. Trees in this category give logs when cut and are always downed after one section cut.
The tree respawns between 36–60 seconds, randomly, and is not influenced by world population.
The chance to successfully chop is affected by the axe used and Woodcutting level, better axes and a higher woodcutting level increases the likelihood of successfully receiving a log.
Kandarin headgear 1 and above gives double logs when cutting any normal tree.
- Beaver – Trees have a chance to drop the beaver Woodcutting pet. At level 1 Woodcutting there is a 1 in 317,622 chance to receive the beaver and a 1 in 315,172 chance at level 99.
- Bird nest – There is 1 in 256 chance to drop from trees. The bird nest will be dropped on the ground and will despawn after 30 second if not picked up. The Bird nest will be given in place of logs.
- Clue nest – Trees can drop all clue nests. At level 1 Woodcutting there is an approximately 1 in 3145 chance to receive an easy-elite clue nest and a 1 in 1596 chance at level 99. Beginner clue nests have a universal 1 in 1000 chance to be dropped.
- Crystal shard - Trees cut in Prifddinas have a chance to drop crystal shards. There is a 1 in 80 chance to receive a crystal shard when a log is received. 
- Trees that do not have a Chop-down option appear around the Drill sergeant's training area. These include the version with a double canopy, and a version with a single canopy that has a dark bark (like the variety found in the Great Kourend), that are the same size as regular trees (unlike the variety found in the Great Kourend).