|Animal Aspect||Falcon[confirmation needed]|
|Colours||Yellow and grey|
Tumeken (pronounced /tʃu:məkən/ TU-muh-ken), sometimes referred to in Menaphite texts as the Lord of Light and the God of the Sun, is the god of light, who shaped the Kharidian Desert,[confirmation needed] the husband of Elidinis, and the father of Icthlarin and Amascut. In this capacity, is the main god worshipped by the desert's inhabitants.
Despite being considered the head of the Menaphite Pantheon, preciously little is known about Tumeken. He is known to have created the four lesser deities of the pantheon: Apmeken, Crondis, Het and Scabaras, which, according to the Book of Light and Day, were made from four dreams Tumeken had over the course of four days. Together the eight deities led the Kharidian empire in what is today known as the Kharidian Desert. The pharaohs that have ruled Menaphos and the desert in the gods' stead are known as the Sons of Tumeken and are buried in the Jalsavrah Pyramid.
The sphinx describes Tumeken's power as follows:
Tumeken is the chief god of the area. You could say that you see him wherever you look but never notice him. [...] The desert is indeed harsh but it protects us from outsiders. Outsiders generally mean us no good, so he protects Menaphos through this harshness. You humans have a saying, 'you have to be cruel to be kind'. It seems to fit Tumeken.
She also adds that he prefers to spend time with his wife rather than involve himself in human affairs.
The current pharaoh, though more secular than his predecessors, is still a follower of Tumeken, as the leader of the Menaphite gang that was recently exiled for their attempt to overthrow him describes him as a 'thrall of Tumeken'. Although Sophanem is the city of the dead and primarily worships Icthlarin, withal Tumeken and his wife are also actively revered there.
Affiliated items[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Tumeken is based on the Egyptian god Ra, who was god of the sun.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. "Tombs of Amascut: Rewards Beta". Old School RuneScape News. "Tumeken was the God of Sun"
- High Priest (Sophanem), "Contact!", Old School RuneScape. "He is the husband of Elidinis, father of both Icthlarin and the Devourer, and the head of the pantheon of gods."
- Sphinx, "Icthlarin's Little Helper", Old School RuneScape. "The main god which the Menaphites worship is called Tumeken. His wife, Elidinis, is the goddess of fertility and growth."
- High Priest (Sophanem), "Contact!", Old School RuneScape. "The Book of Light and Day says that Tumeken once fell into a deep sleep and dreamt for four days and four nights. The first night he slept and dreamt a good dream. He dreamt of a journey long and arduous. From the loins of his subconscious Apmeken was born into reality; a physical manifestation of his dream. Tumeken continued to have pleasant dreams for a further two days and two nights. After each, a new deity came into being. On the fourth night, however, Tumeken dreamt a bad dream. He dreamt of himself and he dreamt of his increasing isolation caused by his extended sleep. This isolation sprung forth into the world and took the form of Scabaras."
- Tarik, "Sophanem", Old School RuneScape. "Tumeken, the sun god and head of the gods. His sons were the rulers, chosen by him to rule in his name."
- High Priest (Sophanem), "Contact!", Old School RuneScape. "We Menaphites are believers in many gods. I, in my position as head priest of Icthlarin, still give praise to Tumeken and Elidinis each day at this very altar."