|Released||5 January 2017 (Update)|
|Examine||A mystical bow carved from the twisted remains of the Great Olm.|
|High alch||2,400,000 coins|
|Low alch||1,600,000 coins|
|Store price||Not sold|
|Exchange||1,002,936,382 coins (info)|
The twisted bow is a reward from the Chambers of Xeric that requires a Ranged level of 75 to wield. It can fire any type of arrow, including dragon arrows. The twisted bow is extremely valuable due to its unmatched power against monsters with a high magic level, such as Commander Zilyana.
Passive effect[edit | edit source]
Unlike other bows that have a set strength, the twisted bow functions differently: the higher the target's Magic level is, the higher the bow's accuracy and damage.
The accuracy modifier is
, with the cap at 140.
The damage modifier is
Therefore, the maximum hit with the twisted bow outside of the Chambers of Xeric is 83 with Dragon arrows and 99 Ranged, when using all damage boosting items and effects (Ranging potion, Rigour, Ava's assembler, Necklace of anguish, and imbued Slayer helmet).
The twisted bow is commonly used against bosses and monsters which have exceptionally high Magic levels, such as Commander Zilyana, brutal black dragons and the Alchemical Hydra, as the bow will have extreme accuracy and damage against them.
The bow works best against enemies with a Magic level of 200 or higher. The bow does considerably worse against monsters with a Magic level of 150 or lower; a toxic blowpipe with dragon darts surpasses the bow's damage output at such low levels. As such, it isn't so useful when used in PvP scenarios. However, under the right conditions, it can be devastating PvP weapon when used against players who are equipped in high Magic accuracy boosting gear such as Ancestral robes and the Arcane Spirit Shield. The reason for this, is because when the Twisted Bow is used against other players, the formula changes; the Magic accuracy bonus of the target overrides the Magic level if it is higher, for example if the target player has level 94 Magic with 140 Magic accuracy bonus, the Twisted Bow will act as if the target has level 140 Magic instead of 94. Assuming the target is equipped with the highest Magic accuracy and the user of the Twisted Bow is equipped with maximum Ranged strength bonus, a max hit of 69 can be achieved. However the Twisted Bow is almost never used as a PKing weapon due to the risk involved in losing it.
Combat styles[edit | edit source]
|Combat options||Combat style||Experience||Boosts|
|Accurate||Ranged and Hitpoints||Accuracy and damage|
|Rapid||Ranged and Hitpoints||Attack speed by 1 tick|
|Longrange||Ranged, Hitpoints and Defence|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|12 April 2018
|Twisted bow's performance no longer worsens against the monsters if they have a Magic level of over 350. Previously this occurred due to a bug.|
|19 January 2017
|Damage modifier cap changed from 350 to 250 outside Chambers of Xeric, as it was too powerful against some bosses.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In an update on 28 February 2019, a twisted bow spawn was accidentally added east of the Farming Guild. The spawn was hotfixed shortly after the update and the game was rolled back to the time of the update.
- The twisted bow is similar in function to the Hexhunter bow in RuneScape 3.
- The ranger mercenary outside Theatre of Blood wields a twisted bow, and it can be seen in one of the webs hanging in Nylocas Vasilias' room along with its owner. However, this particular bow is unreachable and does not display a red dot on the minimap.
- Upon release, attempting to light a fire after completing Barbarian Firemaking Training resulted in the message "Nothing interesting happens." With the release of the Inferno, the message displayed will now state "It'd be foolish to possibly damage such an expensive bow with a firemaking attempt. You're surprised you only realised this now!"
- As a result of the twisted bow's introduction, General Graardor's magic level and magic defence bonus were adjusted as the bow originally outperformed other high-end weapons against him.
- The equations used by the twisted bow are mathematical parabolas. This means after a Magic level of 485, the damage bonus previously started to decrease. The same is true for the accuracy bonus at Magic level 350. This was fixed after the patch on the 12th of April, 2018; the bow's performance on monsters with a Magic level higher than 350 is now treated as if it is 350.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Kieren's Twitter account. 29 May 2017. Mod Kieren: "Outside raids, magic cap at 250
Acc modifier: 140 + (10 * 3 Magic / 10 - 10) / 100 - ((3 Magic / 10 - 100) ^2) / 100 Capped at 140."
- Jagex. Mod Kieren's Twitter account. 29 May 2017. Mod Kieren: "Dmg modifier: 250 + (10 * 3 Magic / 10 - 14) / 100 - ((3 Magic / 10 - 140) ^2) / 100 Capped at 250."
- Jagex. Old School RuneScape's Twitter account. 28 February 2019. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2019.) Old School RuneScape: "A bug involving Twisted Bows and the Farming guild has been hotfixed. Stand by while we assess our next steps. If you have acquired a Twisted Bows from anywhere other than Chambers of Xeric, they will be removed - attempting to sell them may result in action against your account."
- The Old School Team. "Bug: Twisted Bows". RuneScape News.