Twisted bow glitch
This was hotfixed 32 minutes after the update. The item spawn was not removed, but attempting to pick it up would result in the bow being deleted. Another hotfix 53 minutes after the update launched added four tree stumps around the spawn to make the bow unreachable even via Telekinetic Grab.
The cause of the glitch was soon discovered to be that while mapping the flower behind the Hespori cave entrance, a twisted bow spawn was also accidentally mapped on the other side of the guild wall. As the bug was not as widespread as the coin pouch glitch, Jagex did not originally intend to roll the game back, and said that the Old School Team would be working with the analytics team to identify and track the bows obtained from the glitch and would take action against accounts which had abused the bug, including removing coins and platinum tokens obtained by selling bows obtained via the glitch.
At 13:33 (UTC), two hours after the update, Jagex launched a five minute countdown timer and turned the game offline. They announced in an update post that they were exploring the prospect of rolling the game back. At 13:56, Jagex confirmed that they would be rolling the game back to its state before the update.
At 15:30 (UTC), the game was rolled back and brought live again with the item spawn removed. In reference to the glitch, a "twisted bush" was placed where the item had previously spawned, which can be searched by players but results in a chatbox message stating, "You don't find anything."
Hardcore ironmen who had died during the rolled-back period were revived with their hardcore ironman status retained in the game. However, their stats as a hardcore ironman were now tracked on the regular ironman hiscores instead of the hardcore ironman hiscores.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
Players who used wealth from the illegitimately gained twisted bows to buy bonds for membership had action taken against their accounts. Some players were initially permanently banned for abusing the bug; after Jagex opted to roll the game back, these players had their offence reduced to a temporary ban.
The twisted bow glitch resulted in the second ever rollback of Old School RuneScape since its inception, as well as being the second rollback within a year, the first one being due to the coin pouch glitch.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Old School RuneScape's Twitter account. 28 February 2019. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2019.) Old School RuneScape: "A bug involving Twisted Bows and the Farming guild has been hotfixed. Stand by while we assess our next steps. If you have acquired a Twisted Bows from anywhere other than Chambers of Xeric, they will be removed - attempting to sell them may result in action against your account."
- Jagex. Mod Wolf's Twitter account. 28 February 2019. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2019.) Mod Wolf: "We can't hotfix the item spawning. We hotfixed (quite a while ago) that attempting to pick it up will just delete the item automatically."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 28 February 2019. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2019.) Mod Ash: "Unfortunately [QA] didn't spot that the artist mapping down a hespori indicator had also accidentally mapped down an item spawn about 40 tiles away on the other side of the guild wall."
- Jagex. Old School RuneScape's Twitter account. 28 February 2019. Old School RuneScape: "We will use means other than a rollback to address the bug. This is to avoid turning Old School off for several hours and interrupting your in-game experience. We are working with our Analytics team to identify and track the Twisted bows that entered the game."
- Jagex. Old School RuneScape's Twitter account. 28 February 2019. Old School RuneScape: "Anyone found to have abused the bug will have action taken against their account. We will also remove Twisted bows and coins or platinum tokens obtained by selling them."
- Jagex. Old School RuneScape's Twitter account. 28 February 2019. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2019.)
- Jagex. Mod Wolf's Twitter account. 28 February 2019. (Archived from the original on 28 February 2019.) Mod Wolf: "The worlds should be back up and the Twisted Bow is no longer at its previous location. "
- The Old School Team. "Bug: Twisted Bows". RuneScape News.