Unidentified large fossil
|Unidentified large fossil|
|Released||7 September 2017 (Update)|
|Examine||A large paleontological find ready for cleaning.|
|High alch||180 coins|
|Low alch||120 coins|
An unidentified large fossil is a fossil that can be obtained while performing activities on Fossil Island, including:
- Obtaining one as a drop from monsters on the island.
- Chopping Sulliuscep mushrooms in the Tar Swamp.
- Tracking a herbiboar's tracks in the Mushroom Forest.
- Looting giant clam shells and treasure chests underwater.
- Purchasing one from Mairin in her shop for 300 mermaid's tears.
- Mining the boulder while in the Volcanic Mine.
- Looting drift nets
- Digging in the soil at the Museum Camp
- Opening a Bowl of fish
Cleaning[edit | edit source]
Before players can clean fossils, they must build the cleaning bench east of the Museum Camp using five planks, five nails and a hammer, granting 100 Construction experience. Alternatively, players can use the specimen table in the Varrock Museum.
To clean fossils, players must use the unidentified fossil on the fossil cleaning bench (or specimen table) while wearing leather boots and leather gloves and in possession of a trowel, rock pick and specimen brush. All of these items can be obtained by taking a cleaning kit from the wall in the Varrock Museum's cleaning area.
Cleaning unidentified large fossils will give the player either an identified large fossil, or a plant fossil. A set of these allows the player to place them in a large display in the Varrock Museum's paleontology exhibit, located at the bottom floor of the museum, below the natural history exhibit. Doing so will give an antique lamp that gives 5,000 experience in any skill level 35 or above, along with 2 kudos per display.
Item sources[edit | edit source]
|Bowl of fish||N/A||1||2/875|
See Fossil Island fossils for strategies on obtaining fossils.
Shop locations[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The fossil resembles that of an ammonite, a sea creature that lived around 400 million years ago.
- It also appears to resemble the Helix Fossil from the Pokémon franchise.