In a recent devblog, we wrote about the possibility of developing new content for Old School RuneScape. After all, there's not very much high-level player-vs-monster content at the moment, and we'd like to offer some. While we do have a near-complete version of the God Wars Dungeon in our archives, it would come with all manner of balancing issues even if we had the devtools required to integrate it into OSRS, which we unfortunately don't. Instead, we've been looking at things we can do within the existing Old School game features, so as to keep things old-school, and we pitched a rough outline for a private cave where you'd revisit boss monsters of quests that you'd completed.
We'd like to flesh out this idea a bit more now, and maybe offer it in a future content poll to see if it can get the required 75% support.
Just outside Yanille, not far from the bank, stands a traveling mystic. He has the power to read your memories, and to send you into a trance during which you you will re-live past encounters. He can use this to recreate boss encounters from various quests that you have completed. In return for the entertainment of watching you fight your memories, he will reward you with a variety of useful items.
In your trance, you would find yourself in a cave (which would be a copy of the King Black Dragon's lair) with the chosen monster. This would be a safe area; if you died in your trance, the mystic would end the encounter and allow you to wake up without losing items.
The mystic will offer to re-create boss monsters from quests that you have completed. Provisionally, the following monsters would be on the list:
- The Barrelchest from The Great Brain Robbery.
- The Giant Scarab from Contact!
- All four bosses from Desert Treasure.
- Elvarg from Dragon Slayer. (An anti-dragon shield could be provided.)
- The Inadequacy, the Everlasting and the Untouchable from Dream Mentor.
- The Arzinian Being of Bordanzan from Between a Rock...
- The Tanglefoot from Fairy Tale 1. (Secateurs could be provided.)
- Chronozon from Family Crest. (Various runes could be provided.)
- Bouncer from Fight Arena.
- The Troll King from Fremennik Isles.
- Black Demon from The Grand Tree.
- Glod from Grim Tales.
- Treus Dayth from Haunted Mine.
- The Black Knight Titan from Holy Grail.
- The Dagannoth Mother from Horror from the Deep. (Various runes could be provided.)
- The Evil Chicken, the Culinaromancer and the Culinaromancer's aides from Recipe for Disaster. (Various runes could be provided.)
- Nezikchened from the Legends' Quest.
- The tree spirit from Lost City.
- The version of you that you fought in Lunar Diplomacy.
- Jungle Demon from Monkey Madness.
- The Kendal from Mountain Daughter.
- The Giant Roc from My Arm's Big Adventure.
- The goblin guard from the Observatory quest.
- Ulfric from Olaf's Quest.
- The Slagilith from One Small Favour.
- An Ice Lord from Cold War.
- The Temple Guardian from Priest in Peril.
- The skeleton from Restless Ghost.
- The moss giant from Roving Elves.
- The skeletal hellhound from In Search of the Myreque.
- Nazasterool from Shilo Village.
- The Slug Prince from Slug Menace.
- Agrith-Naar from Shadow of the Storm.
- King Roald from What Lies Below.
- The Khazard Warlord from Tree Gnome Village.
- Dad from Troll Stronghold.
- Arrg from Troll Romance.
- Count Draynor from Vampire Slayer. (A hammer and stake could be provided.)
- Solus Dellegar from Wanted!
- The Experiment from Witch's House.
In addition to recreating these monsters one by one, the mystic would offer more interesting trances to players who had unlocked all the monsters on the list:
Endurance: Each monster is spawned in turn. The mystic challenges you to defeat them all, one at a time, without leaving. You accrue rewards based on how far you get.
Rumble: Monsters from the list are spawned to attack you simultaneously. The mystic challenges you to defeat as many as you can. You accrue rewards based on how many you kill.
Cut-down versions of these modes could be offered if you hadn't completed enough quests to access the full list of monsters.
The mystic awards you points based on your performance in the cave. He will exchange these points for reward items. The available items are consumable commodities such as flax, essence, herblore secondaries and swamp tar; the item list would focus on existing items that do not give much XP when you gather them yourself. In the interests of keeping the game old-school, we're not expecting to add new combat equipment or new gameplay mechanics.
We'll be running informal surveys in future to gauge the level of interest in this sort of update, and we'll also be on the look-out for more detailed suggestions. Based on the results, we may put it to a poll, or else we might try writing different versions of the design based on your feedback.