This week sees the release of the 2019 Treasure Trail expansion with new beginner clue scrolls, new item rewards and challenges for all tiers of clue scrolls. A Mimic boss and some other changes such as stackable reward caskets of all tiers are included. We're also launching this year's Easter event!
Treasure Trails Expansion
The major Treasure Trails expansion described in the original blog is now live in-game! The expansion include a variety of clue related content as described in this post. As a key piece of content many players regularly enjoy, we wanted to expand several aspects such as the types of clue that exist and the rewards available. We also set out to create Beginner clues for free players to encourage them to learn about clues and more parts of Old School as a whole.
Beginner Clue Scrolls
Beginner clues are short 1-3 step clues and are accessible to both F2P and P2P players. They only offer F2P rewards and are not a requirement for obtaining Watson's Master clues. Easy, Medium, Hard, Elite, and Master clue scrolls remain members only items.
There is also a new tutor, Arthur the Clue Hunter who will teach new players how clue scrolls work and where to obtain them. He can be found inside the Sheared Ram pub in Lumbridge. In addition, at the end of the X Marks the Spot Quest, players will now be rewarded with a Beginner Clue Scroll and directed to talk to the new clue tutor to learn more about them. If you have already completed the quest, you'll still be able to claim your Beginner Clue Scroll reward. Stash units have been added around the free to play area for Beignner Clues that require items to be worn.
To help teach new players how to create items and equipment, a new clue type has been added for begginer clues only: Charlie's clues. For this type of clue, you'll have a chance to help the homeless Charlie the Tramp in Varrock by creating items for him from scratch.
In addition to begginer clues, brand new clues have been added to each already existing tier for you to solve. The number for each tier can be seen below:
- Easy: 12
- Medium: 5
- Hard: 5
- Elite: 5
- Master: 5 and one new slider puzzle with a Theatre of Blood design
A new clue type has also been added that will require players to play certain music tracks in given areas or for particular NPCs. This type will only be found during Easy, Medium and Hard clue scroll completions.
What would a Treasure Trails expansion be without new rewards? To bolster each tier of clue with new cosmetic items, we've added the items below. The number and type of items added to each tier had been balanced with the already existing rewards in mind.
- Jester cape
- Shoulder parrot
- Bear slippers
- Frog slippers
- Demon slippers
- Mole slippers
- Rune scimitar God ornament kits (Saradomin, Guthix and Zamorak)
- Sandwhich lady outfit (hat, top and bottom)
- Monk robes (t) and robe top (t)
- Amulet of Defence (t)
- Cape of Skulls
- Power Amulet (t)
- Rain bow
- Ham joint
- Staff of Bob the Cat
- Leather body (g)
- Leather chaps (g)
- Black heraldic platebodys (h1, h2, h3, h4 & h5)
- Spiked manacles
- Wolf mask and Wolf cloak
- Climbing boots (g)
- Adamant heraldic platebodys (h1, h2, h3, h4 and h5)
- Dual sai
- Theiving bag
- Gilded rune defender kit
- Obby maul ornament kit
- Berserker necklace ornament kit
- 3rd age plateskirt
- Blessed d'hide shields (Ancient, Armadyl, Bandos, Guthix, Saradomin and Zamorak)
- Rune heraldic platebodys (h1, h2, h3, h4 and h5)
- Adamant and rune dragon masks
- Ranger's tights
- Gilded dragonhide (top, legs, vambraces and coif)
- Gilded axe and pickaxe
- Gilded spade
- Uri's hat
- Tormented bracelet ornament kit
- 3rd age druidic staff, top, legs and cloak
- All 3rd age or gilded items from lower tiers
The Mimic Boss
Changelist: The Mimic rate has been increased to 1/35 for Elite clues and 1/15 for Master clues.
You now have a chance of finding a Mimic casket when opening Elite (1/80) and Master (1/30) clue caskets. To enable this option, speak to the Strange Casket at Watson's house. If you don't wish to encounter the Mimic, the option can be disabled here too. When you attempt to open a casket and find it's a Mimic, you may take it to the Strange Casket to face the boss.
For Mimics from Master clues, you will have 6 attempts to kill the boss, for Elite you'll receive 5. Each time a you fail to kill the boss (by getting killed or leaving the instance), your potential loot is decreased. On the other hand, defeating the Mimic on the first try will boost your chances of receiving its unique item, the 3rd Age Ring.
Should you fall to the Mimic, you can reclaim your items for a fee of 90,000 GP from the Strange Casket mentioned earlier in Watson's house. This interface will work similar to others such as Torfinn's.
Other Treasure Trails Changes
In addition to the changes above, we've also made each tier of reward casket stackable. This means you can save up your clue rewards and see them all at once if you wish. Following the Treasure Trails expansion poll, only the caskets are stackle and clues themselves can still only be held one a time per tier.
Updated Clue Inventory Icons
The inventory icons for each clue tier has been updated to make it easier to tell them apart.
Easter Event 2019
The time for this year's pun-filled Easter event has arrived! However, before the Easter bunny can go ahead and spread Easter eggs all accross Gielinor, he needs some help. Find him north of Falador to lend a hand gathering the ingredients needed to make fuel for his egg making machine. To do this, you'll tunnel through the Easter bunny's burrow system to find his helpers Eg, Egg and Eggy who will aid you in finding the ingredients you need.
As always, completing this year's Easter event will unlock all the previous Easter holiday event rewards as well as some brand new ones! We hope you find them egg-cellent!
In Other News
Maintenance Outages - UK and German Worlds:
Yesterday we took all German worlds offline for maintenance. The same can be expected for all UK worlds on the 17th - this is expected to begin at 9am BST and last for the day. A list of the UK worlds is found below:
302, 308, 309, 310, 316, 317, 318, 325, 326, 333, 334, 341, 342, 349, 350, 358, 364, 365, 366, 371, 372, 373, 379, 380, 381, 382, 407, 408
- The Account Management tab now has an Old School Wiki link among other addional useful links.
- Default skirts have had their rendering order adjusted to clip with less things.
- The Gilded scimitar, Gilded boots and 3rd age cape can now be stored in the PoH treasure chest.
- A bug where it was possible to have more than one Clue scroll of the same tier has been fixed.
- Zulrah is now less likely to flicker when attacked with certain weapons.
- It is now easier to steal a target player from combat if they're splashing on PvP and DMM worlds; they now become vulnerable to this 40% earlier than previously.
- The plants adjacent to the bird house site in the Verdant Valley of Fossil Island have been changed to avoid interfering with clicks on the bird house.
- Following last week's nerf to the damage XP on Hespori flowers, we've restored a little bit of XP so that the XP drop can once again show that damage has registered.
Discuss this update on our official forums, the community-led 2007Scape Reddit, or the community-led OSRS Discord in the #gameupdate channel. For reference on the above content, check out the official Wiki.
Mods Acorn, Archie, Ash, Bruno, Curse, Ed, Gambit, Ghost, Gee, Husky, John C, Kieren, Lenny, Lottie, Mat K, Maz, Nasty, Roq, Ry, Sween, Tide, Weath, West & Wolf
The Old School Team