Slayer and its variety of unlockable Slayer monsters offer a number of benefits, from high-level combat equipment to resources used for training skills. Items like the Abbysal whip, Occult necklace, and Dragon hunter lance are amongst the strongest and most core pieces of combat gear, and high-level Slayer monsters like Gargoyles, Aberrant spectres, and Nechryaels drop all sorts of useful supplies. Training Slayer as an Ultimate Ironman presents a number of unique challenges, as the player must balance different equipment, monster drops, supplies, and more while fighting some of the most difficult monsters in the game.
For more information about combat equipment, see User:BuddhaPuck/UIM/Equipment.
Early Training - Natural History Quiz[edit | edit source]
Slayer Points[edit | edit source]
One of the core mechanics of the Slayer skill are slayer reward points, which can be used to buy useful gear, manage Slayer tasks, and unlock new training methods. Some of the early slayer reward point unlocks to prioritize are as follows:
|Blocks/Skips||100/30||Points can be used block or skip undesired tasks, though this should be done sparingly at low Slayer levels to try and save points for more important uses. For more infomation, see the #Task Management section below.|
|Bigger and Badder||150||Gives a chance for a superior slayer monster spawning while on certain tasks, with bonus Slayer experience and unique drops.|
|Rune pouch||1,250||The rune pouch allows for three types of runes to be stored in a single inventory space, particularly useful for Ultimate Ironman players because of their inventory restriction.|
|Broader fletching||300||Allows for fletching broad arrows, which are often used as an efficient Fletching training method.|
|Malevolent masquerade||400||Unlocks the ability to craft the slayer helm, uniquely useful for training against Slayer monsters.|
|Herb sack||750||The herb sack can store up to 30 of each grimy herb in a single inventory space. Very useful for training Hunter at Herbiboar.|
To quickly earn slayer reward points, some players use a technique known as "point boosting". This involves doing nine quick, easy tasks at a low-level Slayer master like Turael before doing the tenth task at a high-level Slayer master like Nieve or Konar quo Maten. Thus, the slayer reward point bonus for every tenth task can be reached very quickly to accumulate points in little time. This method can be particularly useful for early training, when trying to get some useful early unlocks such as superior slayer monster or the player's first few blocks.
Task Management[edit | edit source]
Using slayer reward points, it is possible to skip or block undesired tasks, to allow for quicker or more focused Slayer training. The exact tasks to skip, block, and complete will depend on personal preference, as well as what Slayer master the player is training with. It should be noted that while bracelets of slaughter and expeditious bracelets can be used to further micro-manage slayer tasks, they are not generally recommended for Ultimate Ironman players due to the effort required to make them.
A list of Slayer tasks that are often skipped or blocked is as follows:
- Abyssal demons - High combat stats and few good drops outside of the Abyssal whip (which can be farmed off-task).
- Hellhounds - No desirable drops, and relatively difficult to kill.
- Kalphites - Can be left un-blocked if using the task to kill the Kalphite Queen (such as for the Elite Desert Diary).
- Cave krakens - Unique mechanics make killing them slow, and no particularly desirable drops besides the trident of the seas.
- Drakes - Odd mechanics and high combat stats.
- Greater demons - Slow to kill, though notably K'ril Tsutsaroth is a greater demon, making a task useful for fighting him.
- Black demons - Slow to kill, but a task can be useful later on for fighting demonic gorillas.
- Suqahs - No drops, high combat stats, and sometimes difficult to access.
- Spiritual creatures - Very difficult to access due to their location in the God Wars Dungeon.
Slayer reward points can also be used to extend desirable tasks, or to unlock new tasks. A list of notable extends and unlocks is as follows:
- Extending Dust devils - When bursting this task, it is one of the fastest ways to train Slayer.
- Extending Nechryaels - Can be burst for fast Slayer training, and can be useful for Herblore training due to their amount of herb seed drops.
- Unlocking Lizardmans - Useful for killing lizardman shamans, in search of a dragon warhammer.
- Unlocking TzHaar - With good combat gear such as a toxic blowpipe, killing TzTok-Jad for a TzHaar task is excellent Slayer experience.
- Blocking Fossil Island wyverns - It is technically an "unlock" to be able to block this task without using a block slot. They are difficult to gear for and kill.
Ultimately, the exact choices of blocks, skips, extensions, and unlocks will depend on player preference and gear. The information above should be seen as helpful suggestions, rather than as a strict guide for optimal Slayer training.
|Ultimate Ironman Guides|