|Location on World Map|
The Barrows minigame is an area-based Combat minigame released on 9 May 2005. The objective is to defeat the six Barrows brothers. Priest in Peril is required as the minigame is located in Morytania, and starting Nature Spirit is required to enter the Mort Myre Swamp. It is a popular money-making method due to the potential of receiving valuable rewards, including the unique Barrows equipment.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
There are several different methods for travelling to Barrows. In approximate order from most to least convenient:
- Cast Barrows Teleport in the Arceuus spellbook, which requires 83 Magic and at least 60% favour with the Arceuus House. The corresponding Barrows teleport tablet has no magic level or Arceuus House favour requirements.
- Use the Minigame Group Finder to teleport to Mort'ton via the Shades of Mort'ton teleport, which requires completion of the Shades of Mort'ton quest. This method is free and requires no equipment or items, but can only be cast once every 20 minutes.
- Use a Mort'ton teleport scroll, then run east to Barrows. Although, it is cheaper to use a Barrows teleport tablet instead.
- Use the Morytania legs 3 or 4 to teleport to Burgh de Rott, then run north through Mort'ton towards Barrows.
- With Fairytale II - Cure a Queen started, fairy rings can be used to travel to Mort Myre Swamp. One can then run through the swamp through Mort'ton to Barrows.
- With 50 Agility, players can use the code bip to travel to the small island near the Nature Grotto. Head directly east and through the winding path to arrive at Mort'ton.
- The code bkr can be used to travel to the fairy ring slightly south-east of Canifis inside Mort Myre Swamp.
- The code cks can be used to travel just north of the entrance to the swamp, southwest of Canifis
- With the completion of Desert Treasure, it is possible to teleport to Canifis with the Kharyll Teleport spell. From there, run south through the swamp. Completion of In Aid of the Myreque is highly recommended for this route, as it unlocks a shortcut to the Hollows, and from there, Cyreg Paddlehorn offers a boat ride to Mort'ton. This option can be made more convenient by adding a Kharyll portal in your player-owned house (50 Construction required), allowing use of the spell while on your regular spellbook.
Objective[edit | edit source]
The objective of the game is to defeat the six Barrows brothers: Ahrim the Blighted, Dharok the Wretched, Guthan the Infested, Karil the Tainted, Torag the Corrupted and Verac the Defiled. In the first phase of the minigame, the player summons and defeats five of the six brothers. In the second phase, one must traverse the maze in the tunnels to find the final brother and the reward chest.
This minigame is difficult for players with low combat stats. The combat levels of each brother is 115, except for Ahrim the Blighted and Karil the Tainted, which are level 98. The Barrows brothers are very strong, each with high Defence levels and strong armour. Each brother has a different special ability, which is the same as the set effect of the corresponding armour set. Because of this, special consideration should be given to the methods with and order in which the brothers are killed.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Players receive one roll at the rewards table for each brother killed. For each roll, first the Barrows formula is used to determine whether a Barrows item will be given; if the roll is unsuccessful, the standard item formula is used instead.
Completion of the Hard Morytania Diary increases the number of runes gained by 50% when they are rolled.
Defeating as many brothers as possible before looting the chest is recommended, since not only does one receive more rolls for rewards as the number of brothers killed decreases, but for each roll one also has a higher chance of receiving a Barrows item. If no brothers are killed, it is impossible to gain Barrows items as a reward. The following table demonstrates the exact odds:
Chance of receiving at least one Barrows equipment item Brothers
Chance Frac % 1 1/392 0.26% 2 1/167 0.60% 3 1/92 1.09% 4 2/109 1.83% 5 1/32 3.13% 6 1/17 5.88%
Barrows item formula[edit | edit source]
The chance of receiving a piece of Barrows equipment for a roll is , where is the number of brothers killed.
If the roll is successful, a random Barrows item is chosen -- all Barrows items have an equal chance of being chosen. However, a player cannot receive Barrows items for brothers not killed, and also a player cannot receive the same item more than once for every run of the minigame. It is possible to get multiple items from the same brother, contrary to popular belief.
Standard item formula[edit | edit source]
If a roll for a Barrows item was not successful, the standard item table is rolled instead.
First, the ``rewards potential`` or ``RP`` is calculated with the following formula: . In other words, it is the sum of all the combat levels of monsters killed (including the brothers, which in total have a combined sum of 656), up to 1000, plus two times the number of brothers killed. The maximum RP possible is 1012. The combat levels of the brothers is included in this calculation, and since the six brothers have a combined sum of 656, an additional 344 points must be gained in order to gain the maximum number of points.
A roll is performed for a value between and the ``RP`` calculated (each inclusive). This value determines the items awarded and the quantity by using the table below:
Item RP required
RP required for
Chance at max RP per roll Frac % Coins 1 380 380/1012 37.5% Mind rune 381 505 125/1012 12.4% Chaos rune 506 630 125/1012 12.4% Death rune 631 755 125/1012 12.4% Blood rune 756 880 125/1012 12.4% Bolt rack 881 1005 125/1012 12.4% Key half 1006 N/A (always 1) 6/1012 0.6% Dragon med helm 1012 N/A (always 1) 1/1012 0.1%
As shown in the table, each item has a range, and the higher in the range the roll resides the more of the item. For example, a roll of 1 and 380 would both result in a reward of coins, but the latter would result in more coins.
If players wish to receive more runes (which are generally worth more gold) instead of bolt racks and key halves, they should keep the total combat level of the monsters killed around but no more than 880. Having exactly 880 would allow the maximum number of Blood runes, but would remove Bolt racks, key halves, and the Dragon med helm from the drop table. Players can achieve exactly 880 points by killing the six brothers and 3 Skeletons. It could also be done by killing 4 Crypt spiders, however these are confined to one room and also share space with their larger cousins, making this method much less convenient.
Runes/Ammunition[edit | edit source]
Barrows Equipment[edit | edit source]
Ahrim's[edit | edit source]
Dharok's[edit | edit source]
Guthan's[edit | edit source]
Karil's[edit | edit source]
Torag's[edit | edit source]
Verac's[edit | edit source]
Other[edit | edit source]
Odds[edit | edit source]
Calculations assume all 6 brothers are killed for each chest. Only "One random set" is an approximation, the average of 5 million simulations. Where for example "5 unique items" means you have 19/24 items and you need 5 more unique items to complete all sets.
|Loop half of key||1||Uncommon||9,749||60|
|Tooth half of key||1||Uncommon||9,680||60|
|Clue scroll (elite)||1||Uncommon||Not sold||12|
|Dragon med helm||1||Rare||58,835||60,000|
|Reward||Approximate chests needed|
|All 24 unique items||1541 chests|
|One unique item||408 chests|
|Two unique items||612 chests|
|Three unique items||748 chests|
|Four unique items||850 chests|
|Five unique items||932 chests|
|One random set||365 chests|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- According to the formula released by Mod Kieren on his Twitter, the chances of getting at least one piece of Barrows equipment is 1/17.42 if you kill all six brothers. This chance is unaffected by the kill count of the other monsters in the crypt. Therefore, the chance of receiving a specific equipment piece is approximately 1/418 (17.42*24).
- Killing all of the brothers is not required to receive loot; however, not killing all brothers decreases your chance of receiving a Barrows item, and you will not be able to receive the items from the brothers that you missed.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There is currently a glitch where if Guthan is slain and he heals simultaneously, a message will appear in the player's chatbox stating "We'll finish this later...".
- Prior to an update, Barrows did not tell you what brothers the player had slain. In addition, before the aforementioned update, there was no looting interface upon searching the chest for rewards.
- There is a one in 1.12 trillion chance of receiving 6 Barrows items after defeating all the brothers.