This page shows various strategies which may help you to kill the Barrows brothers.
- 1 Getting there
- 2 Requirements
- 3 Recommended items
- 4 General strategy
- 5 Maximizing rewards
- 6 Notes
Getting there[edit | edit source]
While there are many ways to reach Barrows, a direct teleport as close as possible to Barrows is highly recommended, not only due to the time waste of running through the swamp but also the loss of food due to ghasts.
Alternatively, players could choose to teleport to Mort'ton via a Mort'ton teleport scroll, then run north-east. However, these are more expensive and less convenient than Barrows teleport tablets. After completing the Shades of Mort'ton quest, a teleport to Mort'ton via the Minigame Group Finder becomes unlocked; while free, it can only be used once every 20 minutes.
Requirements[edit | edit source]
The only requirements to do Barrows are completion of the Priest in Peril quest and starting the Nature Spirit quest. It is highly recommended to have Morytania Hard Diary completed for 50% more combat runes from the reward chest.
Suggested skill levels[edit | edit source]
- 50+ Magic (75+ ideal for use of Trident of the seas/swamp)
- 70+ Attack and Strength (for kill count)
- 50+ Ranged (if ranging Ahrim)
- 60+ Defence (if you plan to tank most brothers)
- 55+ (for use of the Magic Dart spell)
- 43+ Prayer (highly recommended to block damage from the brothers, especially Dharok)
Suggested quests[edit | edit source]
- If Mort'ton teleports are used to reach Barrows, completion of Shades of Mort'ton for use of the minigame teleport is recommended to save some scrolls.
- Completion of Rum Deal quest for Holy wrench is helpful to reduce the number of prayer potions needed.
Recommended items[edit | edit source]
Armour[edit | edit source]
Because the melee Barrows brothers have such low Magic Defence, it does not matter whether you wear Melee or Magic gear if you plan to attack them with Magic. Although using magical armour such as Mystic or Ahrim's will improve your magical accuracy, they do have a low Defence against magical attacks, but using melee armour together with Slayer Dart will greatly lower your magic accuracy.
(**)Highly effective only if using elemental fire spells, otherwise any of the other suggested items would be advisable.
(***)A dueling ring can be used to teleport to Clan Wars. Players can bank and use the Free-for-All portal west of the bank to restore (upon exit or teleporting out) Hitpoints, Prayer, Run energy, Agility (Karil's set effect can reduce it to very low levels), and Special attack energy. This may prove especially useful to players such as Ironmen who are unable or unwilling to bring Stamina potions.
Weapon[edit | edit source]
|Slot||For Dharok, Verac, Guthan, Torag, or KarilMagic||For AhrimRanged||In the Tunnel|
|Use the best spell you can. The Trident of the swamp (a.k.a. Toxic trident) is the best weapon to use for Magic. Otherwise, a Trident of the seas, Iban Blast, Magic Dart, Wave spells, or Blast spells will work well (in order of best to worst). A Staff of the dead and its special attack could be used to briefly halve damage taken by the melee brothers, while doubling as an effective melee weapon.||The Toxic blowpipe is the best weapon, due to its fast attack speed and damage. If that is not available, an Armadyl crossbow and broad bolts can be used, and if that is not available, a Rune crossbow can be used.||Bring a Dragon scimitar or Abyssal whip to slay creatures in the tunnel (see notes). A Staff of the dead would also prove effective. Guthan's can be used to extend trips.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The black salamander is a good versatile weapon to use against all the brothers, and its ammunition (harralander tar) is extremely cheap. Pairing it with full Verac's is a great alternative.
- You should always use rune arrows for Ahrim. It can be worthwhile to bring a ranging potion, as he has high Ranged Defence despite being weak to ranged attacks.
- Imbuing the magic shortbow with a Bounty Hunter Scroll will give you a second special.
- Half keys and dragon med helms are bonus loot added to the chest, and can be affected by the ring of wealth.
- Once you can use a 15-second hold (Entangle, Ice Blitz, or Ice Barrage) you can hold the 4 Melee brothers to not take damage while you attack. This is a cheap way to save supplies.
- A Stamina potion can be used to make the run through the tunnels simpler.
- Completing the Morytania Hard Diary will grant you 50% more runes when looting from the chest.
- Bones to Peaches tablets are an excellent way to extend Barrows trips. Just fill empty spaces with bones while gathering kill count, and convert as needed.
- There are limited safespots in the tunnels, however, if you know how to exploit them, you can effectively safespot any melee brother you may have in there and/or hide to eat if you are not using prayer. With enough skill, prayer potions are not even necessary, even if you get Dharok in the tunnels.
- Like all NPCs, the Barrows brothers will attempt to move in a straight line towards the player, however they will move east/west first before moving north/south. This opens up many opportunities to safespot melee brothers on corners of debris that can be shot through.
- Debris on the floor that resemble bricks cannot be shot through, nor can the standing torches in the chest room, nor the chest itself. The bricks cannot be shot through as they are the same objects (merely recoloured) as the piles of bricks in the brothers' individual crypts.
- The brothers will not get stuck on other NPCs or players.
- Of all the long corridors, it is only not possible to find a safespot for a melee brother if you are entering the northern corridor from the northwest room. The nearest safespot here is too far and will cause the brother to disappear. All of the other long corridors and the four 'corner' rooms can be utilized effectively.
- Any other debris on the floor that cannot be walked through can be shot through, including skeletons, boulders, rocks, and the ladder, even in other rooms than the room where you came down when it is invisible to you. It can be difficult to tell which squares can be walked on with some of the piles of boulders in some rooms.
- The ladder and ladder squares can be shot through. You will only see the ladder in the room that you came down on; however, the square containing the other possible ladder locations can still be used as a safespot. This may lead to some potentially hilarious and very useful safespot opportunities where brothers appear to be frozen.
- Ice Blitz runes are roughly equal in cost to Entangle, binding for the same 15 seconds, but hitting up to 26.
- When killing Verac, because his set allows him to hit through protection prayers, most players who kill him usually use Entangle or Ice Barrage once he spawns to bind him for a decent amount of time. This will save food should he be lucky enough for his set effect to activate.
- A full set of Guthan's is helpful at the tunnels to restore lost health from encounters with the Brothers and gaining killcount. This will require 70 Attack and Defence in order to use, however.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Option 1: Extended trips[edit | edit source]
- Spade or a free inventory space
- Ectophial or any other one-click teleport
- Black/Blessed chaps
- Magic shortbow / Toxic blowpipe / Crystal bow
- Abyssal whip / Dragon scimitar
- Melee platebody / D'hide body
- Runes for attacking and binding spell to be cast (only if necessary)
- Ranging potion (if you wish)
- 10-20 Prayer potions
- 5+ Bones to Peaches tablets
- Stamina potions (especially due to Karil's set effect which may drain Agility to cripplingly low levels)
- Emergency Food, preferably that can be eaten without interrupting combat, that heals 10+ in a single click for the remaining inventory space. (Pineapple pizzas are excellent.)
Option 2: Efficient, frequent banking and prayer restoration[edit | edit source]
This set-up enables much cheaper and somewhat faster runs, assuming the player has high enough overall defence and experience with the Barrows to tank brothers other than Dharok as may be necessary.
- Spade or a free inventory space, though bringing one will save significant time
- Barrows tablets
- Ardougne cloak for free teleports very close to an altar, useful for saving some time over going to Clan Wars when only prayer restoration is necessary
- Dueling ring for teleports to Clan Wars or for fast banking at Castle Wars. Clan Wars has a bank (slightly further than the one at Castle Wars) and a Free-for-All portal that can be used to restore all drained attributes: stats (Agility being important), run energy, health, prayer, and special attack energy.
- One Prayer potion and/or a Falador shield, in case Dharok is in the tunnels
- Choice of appropriate weaponry, armour, and food
General strategy[edit | edit source]
Opening the Sarcophagi[edit | edit source]
The above-ground portion of Barrows consists of six grave mounds, each of which holds the sarcophagus to one of the brothers. To enter the sarcophagus rooms, simply stand on top of a mound and dig with a spade. While in the sarcophagus room, one's prayer points will drain, so it is important to act quickly. Open the sarcophagus to summon the brother, then quickly defeat the brother and move on to the next brother.
The brothers are strong and have the set effect from their corresponding sets. However, all but Ahrim have very low magic defense, making them easy to damage, and protection prayers make the fights fairly easy.
Of the six brothers, one will not be found in his sarcophagus and instead a message will appear asking the player if one is ready to enter the tunnel. Since it is recommended to kill all the brothers, one should defeat the other brothers before returning to this sarcophagus room and entering the tunnels.
Note: Due to his stat-reducing set effect, it is recommended to save Ahrim for last.
|Name||Pray||Max hit||Defeat with||Recommendation|
|Ahrim the Blighted||20||Pray Protect from Magic and defeat with Manged. Due to his stat-reducing set effect, it is recommended to save him for last.|
|Dharok the Wretched||30 at full HP, 57 at 1 HP||Pray Protect from Melee and defeat with Magic.|
|Guthan the Infested||26||Pray Protect from Melee and defeat with Magic.|
|Karil the Tainted||20 (Attacks rapidly)||Pray Protect from Melee and defeat with Magic.|
|Torag the Corrupted||25||Pray Protect from Melee and defeat with Magic.|
|Verac the Defiled||25 (his set effect gives him the chance of dealing a max hit of 15 through Protect from Melee, but he is fairly inaccurate)||Pray Protect from Melee and defeat with Magic.|
Exploring the tunnels[edit | edit source]
The tunnels should not prove to be a great challenge to any experienced player. They are a series of 9 rooms, connected by passageways. At the center of the tunnels is the room containing the rewards chest, but this room is only reachable by one of the 4 doors connecting to it (the others will not have an Open option, only Examine). This door changes every time a player enters the crypts. Therefore, the goal is to traverse the maze to find the correct door to enter the chest room. This can be made easier by tilting the camera and right clicking on doors in the distance to see if they are able to be opened, or if they only have an Examine option.
Note: When opening any door in the tunnels, a monster will always pop out and attack the player. The monster can be a bloodworm, crypt rat, skeleton or any surviving Barrows brothers. It is advised to keep health at least 50+ in case a brother appears upon opening a door, or the player may die from the unexpected attack.
When fighting the melee brothers in the tunnels, players wishing to conserve supplies may safespot in many places, such as behind the ladder in the ladder rooms (this also works if there is no ladder visible) and rocks. Some players may force the melee tunnel brother to spawn by reentering a door so that they can safespot them and conserve supplies.
Once the correct door is reached, a puzzle must be answered to open it. It is recommended to memorize the solutions, since it is often one must answer quickly due to the aggressive monsters in each room.
CAUTION: If you get the puzzle wrong, the crypt formation will shift, requiring you to go around the tunnels another time to one of the other 4 doors.
Finally, once in the chest room, simply open the chest, search it, then teleport out of the crypts. Opening the chest will spawn the surviving brother if he had not yet been defeated.
Restocking[edit | edit source]
Clan wars white portal, or house with altar and rejuvenation pool and mounted glory for Edgeville bank
Maximizing rewards[edit | edit source]
Kill all brothers. Attain correct kill count.