User:Riblet15/Items with asymmetric uses
This page documents any known interactions that have different behavior depending on which item receives the action. Please add more if you think of any.
Explanation[edit | edit source]
Suppose item X is used on item Y. Item interaction code can be defined in multiple places, executed in a specific order. Only the first available interaction code will be used, and if it has any definition at all it will execute that code. If there is no interaction code defined in that place, it will look for interactions in the next place:
- Interaction code for item Y
- Interaction code for item Y's category
- Interaction code for item X
- Interaction code for item X's category
- Otherwise just print the engine default message
Nothing interesting happens.
This means the item and category handlers generally end with a final statement that prints Nothing interesting happens. Interestingly, we can tell this apart from the engine message in Runelite, because they are given different ChatMessageTypes. If we know item X and item X's category have no interactions defined and using it on item Y produces Nothing interesting happens with type GAMEMESSAGE, it implies that either item Y or item Y's category has item interactions defined.
Known interactions[edit | edit source]
- Banana and a large category of items, such as Abyssal whip and other weapons. Using these items on the banana will create a Sliced banana, but the other direction is Nothing interesting happens. Known items with this behavior include:
- Ring of endurance and stamina mix only works if you use the mix on the ring, and is otherwise Nothing interesting happens. The resulting interface is also broken and doesn't let you add any charges.
- Jar of decay will consume most bones when using the bones on the jar, but in some cases using the jar on the bones causes Nothing interesting happens. Known items with this behavior:
- Tribal masks and hammer will produce a Broodoo shield when the hammer is used on the mask, but is Nothing interesting happens when the mask is used on the hammer.
- Minced meat or cooked meat on chopped garlic gives the message "I need to add spices to the garlic first.", but the other direction causes Nothing interesting happens. Using
- Raw beef on a bowl gives the message "I need some water before I can start making stew.", but using bowl on raw beef gives the message "You need to precook the meat." Using
- Raw beef on a bowl of water gives the message "You need to pre-cook the meat.", but the other direction is "You need to precook the meat." without the dash. Using
- knife on Kharedst's memoirs gives the secret page, but the other direction causes Nothing interesting happens. Using a
- banana on the Monkey item will cause it to eat the banana and possibly reward a clue scroll. The other direction results in Nothing interesting happens. Using a
- knife on bread will open a make-X interface asking to make breadcrumbs or steak sandwich (even if no steak is in the inventory). Using bread on the knife will immediately turn that one bread into breadcrumbs. Using a