|Location on World Map|
The Kingdom of Varlamore, also known as the Shining Kingdom, is a kingdom found in the continent of Zeah, found far west of the mainland across the Western Sea. It is one of the three regions that make up the continent, the other two being the Kingdom of Great Kourend and the Kebos Lowlands.
While players cannot currently visit the kingdom, there are three known areas of the kingdom:
History[edit | edit source]
The Kingdom was formed by refugees fleeing from Great Kourend during the Age of Strife 1,030 years ago, when Xeric ruled the kingdom. Since their founding, they have managed to avoid war with Great Kourend for nearly 1,000 years.
However, after Emperor Imafore killed the Kourend royal family during a grand feast celebrating his 30th birthday party by poisoning their drinks, the kingdom declared war on Varlamore, with the Emperor killed in battle. The reason for poisoning the Kourend royal family remains unknown, as Imafore took the secret to his grave.
The war had ended sometime before or during the reign of Great Kourend's King Kharedst III in the 132nd to 134th decade. In the hope of repairing the relationship with Varlamore, which had been destroyed after the war, the King ordered an envoy be sent to Varlamore to transport the Royal Accord of Twill, a document of great historical importance to Great Kourend, to be displayed in the Grand Museum of Civitas illa Fortis, Varlamore's capital. However, the Accord became lost at sea, and remained so until it was recovered by Artur Hosidius in the 141st decade.
Today, the betrayal of Emperor Imafore remains fresh in the minds of Kourend's people, and the trust has yet to be regained, although Varlamore has sent one of their knights to the Kourend Castle on a mission to, presumably, ease tensions between the kingdoms.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ed's Twitter account. 8 January 2019. Mod Ed: "[The Kebos Lowlands are] a separate region to Great Kourend and one of the three regions that make up the continent."
- Brother Aimeri, Old School RuneScape. "I am a travelling monk from the distant land of Varlamore... I worship Ralos, a common practice where I am from."
- Imafore's betrayal, Old School RuneScape. "From the floating city of Tempestus to the peak of the Proudspire, [Emperor Imafore] showed [the Kourend royal family] everything that Varlamore had to offer. Once the tour was complete, he personally led them to his great palace in the capital of Civitas illa Fortis."
- Imafore's betrayal, Old School RuneScape. "The Kingdom of Varlamore was formed in a very similar way to Kourend, by those fleeing the Age of Strife."
- Imafore's betrayal, Old School RuneScape. "Varlamore managed to avoid conflict for nearly a thousand years and in that time it became one of the most prosperous kingdoms in the world."
- Imafore's betrayal, Old School RuneScape. "He had the servants open a barrel of his finest Aldarin red. Then, he made a toast, to the royal family of Kourend... The entire royal family collapsed before the emperor who looked on with a smile on his face."
- Varlamore envoy, Old School RuneScape. "...one of the more interesting conflicts is the most recent one, the war with Varlamore."
- Lord Trobin Arceuus, Old School RuneScape. "...I was there when Emperor Imafore was executed."
- Imafore's betrayal, Old School RuneScape. "To this day, no one knows exactly why Imafore murdered them. It's a secret he took to his grave..."
- Varlamore envoy, Old School RuneScape. "Despite the protests of many, the King insisted that the Accord be taken with the envoy to Varlamore to be displayed in the Grand Museum of Civitas illa Fortis."
- Varlamore envoy, Old School RuneScape. "The ship was travelling off the south coast of Kourend, when it was caught up in a great storm. The ship, the crew and the Accord itself were all lost beneath the waves."
- Varlamore envoy, Old School RuneScape. "...the war with Varlamore remains fresh in the minds of Kourend's people. The betrayal of Emperor Imafore is hard to forget and it is likely this mistrust will continue for numerous lifetimes."
Locations in Varlamore