WARNING: Beware of Vorkath's acid pool quickfire barrage, insta-kill vertical dragonfire, and suicide spawn as each of these attacks can kill players almost immediately. Players can reclaim their items from Torfinn, costing 100,000 coins upon death. Players who die in any unsafe location before collecting their belongings from Torfinn will lose any items he is holding forever!
- 1 Attacks
- 2 Suggested skills
- 3 Equipment
- 4 Inventory recommendations
- 5 Strategy
- 6 Vorkath trip efficiency
- 7 References
Attacks[edit | edit source]
Vorkath uses several different attack styles during the fight:
Standard Attacks[edit | edit source]
- Melee attack: If players are in range, he swipes at the player with his wings/claws (slash-based).
- Magic attack: Launches a bright-blue projectile at the player. Protect from Magic completely negates damage.
- Ranged attack: Launches a spiked ball at the player that hits up to 32 damage. Protect from Missiles blocks this attack. This style has been confirmed to occur more frequently than the magic attack when not in melee range if in melee range, magic attack is slightly more frequent.
- Dragonfire: Multiple dragonfire types. Vorkath's dragonfire is fairly unique, like the King Black Dragon's. All three of these attacks can be completely negated by using a Super antifire and a Anti-dragon shield, Dragonfire ward or Dragonfire shield; using lesser protection, such as a regular Antifire potion, or having no dragonfire-protection shield will lead to varying and higher amounts of damage.
- High-damage Dragonfire: Vertically launched dragonfire at the player's position when cast. Deals up to 115 damage, but is halved if the player is next to the targeted spot when the dragonfire lands.
Special attacks[edit | edit source]
Every six attacks, Vorkath alternates between one of two special attacks:
- Poison Pool Quickfire Barrage: Launches acid around the arena and proceeds to fire a barrage of 25 dragonfires at the player. Any damage taken while standing on the acid heals Vorkath for the same amount; up to 10 damage per tick. Should the player stand still, the dragonfire barrage deals 30-40 damage per hit regardless of prayers. Additionally, Vorkath takes 50% reduced damage until the special attack ends.
- Zombified Ice Dragonfire: Vorkath freezes the player in place with damageless ice dragonfire, summons a zombified spawn, and is immune to all damage while the spawn is alive. The spawn moves toward the player and, if not killed first, explodes on impact dealing up to 60 damage scaling off of its remaining Hitpoints. Players should queue the Crumble Undead spell and cast on the spawn as soon as it lands to prevent damage during this special attack. Once the spawn is killed, the special attack ends which frees the player and removes Vorkath's immunity.
Suggested skills[edit | edit source]
- 90+ Ranged (Ranged method)
- 90+ Attack (Melee method)
- 90+ Strength (Melee method)
- 75+ Defence (85+ for Melee)
- 70+ Prayer (74+ with Ranged)
- 82+ Construction (for Ornate rejuvenation pool (with boost) - (optional but strongly recommended))
Equipment[edit | edit source]
The Dragon hunter crossbow is the most effective weapon to use against Vorkath, although its cost makes it unavailable for many players. The crossbow's passive effect damage and accuracy boosts stack with the Salve amulet (i)/Salve amulet(ei) and Void Knight equipment allowing players to hit in the 70s without special effects at 99 Ranged. Players should note, however, that the Salve amulet and Salve amulet (e) provide no bonuses to Ranged whatsoever; the amulet must be imbued to provide Ranged bonuses. In order to take the least amount of damage possible, players should use a Dragonfire ward or Anti-dragon shield with the dragon hunter crossbow, while praying Protect from Missiles. The Dragonfire shield is an inferior option to the anti-dragon shield despite its defences, as it provides a negative Ranged bonus. Other offhand items such as the Twisted buckler or Book of law force players to pray Protect from Magic, causing them to take more damage each kill, and shortening their trips. With 99 Ranged and a high Defence level, players should expect anywhere from 3-6 kills with this setup. Ring of recoils do not inflict damage on Vorkath. The Toxic blowpipe is a significantly cheaper yet still effective method of killing Vorkath. Players should still use Void Knight equipment, but replace the ammo slot with a God blessing and bring a defence-reduction special attack weapon. Players should use Protect from Magic with the blowpipe along with a Super antifire potion. Players should use a Bandos godsword or Dragon warhammer at the start of the fight to reduce Vorkath's defence. After each successful Vorkath kill or failure to reduce Vorkath's defence with both special attacks, players should replenish their special attack bars with a restoration pool or better. At 99 Ranged and Rune darts, it's advised to stay regardless of whether or not the player has landed a special attack.
If using Melee, the flinching method is recommended. The Dragon hunter lance is the most effective weapon to use against Vorkath. The lance's passive effect damage and accuracy boosts stack with the Salve amulet (e) or Salve amulet(ei) and Void Knight equipment, allowing players to hit frequently and high. Players use Protect from Magic and wear the best melee armour possible, attacking Vorkath once before moving away while taking note of his attack speed. This will ensure that the player will always avoid his melee attacks, and only take damage from dragonfire and ranged attacks. Players should first lower Vorkath's defences so that their attacks are more accurate. Ring of recoils do not inflict damage on Vorkath.
|Slot||Item (most effective → least effective)|
|Slayer helmet (i) (if on task)||Justiciar faceguard (if set effect)||Serpentine helm||Helm of neitiznot||Obsidian helmet|
|Amulet of torture (if on task)||Salve amulet(e)||Amulet of fury||Amulet of glory||N/A|
|Infernal cape||Fire cape||Ardougne cloak 4||Ardougne cloak 3||Cape of accomplishment|
|Bandos chestplate||Justiciar chestguard||Fighter torso||Obsidian platebody||N/A|
|Bandos tassets||Justiciar legguards + Ahrim's robeskirt (if splashing Crumble Undead)||Obsidian platelegs||N/A||N/A|
|Dragon hunter lance||Ghrazi rapier||Zamorakian hasta||Abyssal dagger||N/A|
|Avernic defender||Dragon defender||Dragonfire shield||Elysian spirit shield||N/A|
|Rada's blessing 4||God blessing / Rada's blessing 3/2||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Ferocious gloves||Barrows gloves||Dragon gloves||Rune gloves||N/A|
|Primordial boots||Dragon boots||Guardian boots||Bandos boots||N/A|
|Berserker ring (i)||Ring of suffering (i)||Ring of the gods (i)||N/A||N/A|
|Bandos godsword||Dragon warhammer||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Inventory recommendations[edit | edit source]
- An ammo switch (if using crossbow)
- Dragon Knife (for special, if using crossbow)
- 1 Anti-venom+
- 3-4 Prayer potions (crossbow only; 1-2 with blowpipe)
- Rune pouch with dust runes, law runes, and chaos runes to cast Crumble Undead spells and Teleport to House
- Super set or divine super combat potion (if using Melee, or blowpipe with Bandos godsword/Dragon warhammer)
- Divine ranging potion or Bastion potion (if using Ranged)
- Extended super antifire (regular extended antifire works, but is obviously less effective)
- An emergency teleport (optional)
- A teleport to Rellekka (see the section below for teleports of choice)
- Food (Sharks or better, preferably Manta rays for longer trips)
- Guthix rest allow you to heal small amounts of health without losing ticks, otherwise Cooked karambwan are useful for combo eating at low HP
Tip: Players may use their antifire and stat boost potions at a bank to create more room for food.
Tip: If you find yourself misclicking on Teleport to House often while trying to cast Crumble Undead, consider switching dust runes to air runes and using house tablets or a Construction cape to teleport back to your player-owned house.
Note: This setup requires you to have 90 Ranged, Attack, Hitpoints, 74+ prayer with Elite Void, Salve amulet (ei), Bandos Godsword, and the Toxic Blowpipe.
- Melee gear for 2 special attacks. If using Dragon Warhammer, Mythical cape is better for the higher crush accuracy compared to the fire cape.
- 1 Super anti-fire potion.
- 1 Anti-venom+ potion.
- 1 Divine ranging potion.
- 1 Super attack potion.
- 1-2 Prayer potion.
- 13 Sharks or better.
- 4 Karambwan for combo eating.
- Chaos and Dust runes to cast Crumble Undead (in Rune pouch).
- Law runes (in Rune pouch) or house tablets to teleport to house to refill special attack after the fight.
Note: This is a more realistic setup that is affordable and will yield excellent results if you are learning to farm Vorkath.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Upon awakening, Vorkath's attack pattern consists of six random standard attacks, one special attack, six random attacks, then the other special attack and so on until defeated. Players should keep run off throughout the kill and use control click to run when needed.
The optimal protection prayer to use depends on the gear being used:
- Protect from Magic if using Melee, a Toxic blowpipe or the Book of law and Super antifire potion.
- Protect from Missiles if using a crossbow along a Dragonfire ward, Dragonfire shield or Anti-dragon shield, and Super antifire potion.
Vorkath can hit up to 31 with each standard attack. His high attack level means his melee attacks are very accurate, though he does not use Melee as often as Magic or Ranged. Players should have quick-prayers set according to their combat style and weapon type to reactivate prayers if deactivated by the pink dragonfire. Players should also be prepared to click at least two spaces away if Vorkath uses his insta-kill vertical dragonfire lob.
Poison Pool Quickfire Barrage[edit | edit source]
When Vorkath spits poison pools on the ground, players should continuously walk on clean ground to avoid damage. As long as players are moving, Vorkath's quick-fire barrage will not deal damage. Standing or moving over a poison pool leeches health from the player and heals Vorkath. Protective prayers may be turned off to reduce prayer drain, as they do not affect these attacks.
There are two ways to deal with this attack:
- Players can find a line (at least five tiles free of acid) and walk back and forth the said line. This is relatively safe but no damage will be dealt to Vorkath in the process.
- A more difficult tactic involves a tick-perfect walking method; the player attacks Vorkath, but quickly moves away to avoid being hit by the dragonfire barrage.
- For players using melee, as soon your weapon hits Vorkath, quickly move two spaces back and click on Vorkath again, repeating until the attack is over.
- For players using ranged, there are two options:
- Blowpipe - With the blowpipe, this requires at least two tiles free of acid. As the blowpipe has a range of 5 when used on "Accurate" and "Rapid", stand six tiles away from Vorkath. As soon as you attack Vorkath, your character will automatically walk one tile towards it - quickly click back on the tile that you stood on, and repeat.
- Crossbow - A crossbow is significantly trickier to use compared to a blowpipe - with a range of 8, players need to stand towards the outer rim of the arena. Similar to the blowpipe method, as soon as you attack Vorkath, your character will automatically walk one tile towards it - quickly click back on the tile that you stood on, and repeat.
- This method is generally easier to learn with sounds enabled, as you should click every time you hear Vorkath shoot his fireball. Practicing the moves throughout the fight is also useful for learning with no punishment upon mistakes.
Players using a dragon hunter crossbow may take this opportunity to use the toxic blowpipe special attack to heal, as they are safe from dragonfire damage (provided that they do not stop moving at any point). Despite the damage reduction, the special attack heals as normal, as if the damage was not reduced.
After the attack, remember to re-enable your protection prayer (if you toggled it off), and toggle run on (according to preference).
Zombified Ice Dragonfire[edit | edit source]
Vorkath's other special attack is the zombified ice dragonfire. For the duration of this attack, Vorkath himself is immune to all damage. Vorkath will use white dragonfire which freezes the player. Vorkath then lobs a Zombified Spawn into the air which lands several spaces away and crawls towards the player; while the spawn is alive, Vorkath is immune to all attacks. If the spawn reaches the player before being defeated, it will deal up to 60 damage, scaling based on its Hitpoints. If you kill Vorkath at the same time he casts this spell, the Zombified Spawn will not instantly disappear but it will harmlessly die instead of exploding. There are two tactics for this attack, both of which centre on killing or damaging the Zombified Spawn:
- The most effective method to dispatch the spawn is to ready Crumble Undead and click the spawn as soon as it lands. Bringing a Slayer's Staff and setting Crumble Undead on auto-cast will enable you to simply left-click attack the spawn once it arrives.
Less effective methods include:
- Damage the spawn until defeated.
- Weaken the spawn before casting Vengeance.
Vorkath trip efficiency[edit | edit source]
Toxic blowpipe special attack methods[edit | edit source]
If using the Toxic blowpipe, players should lower Vorkath's Defence with the Bandos godsword or dragon warhammer special attacks before each kill. Players who fail to hit at least one Dragon warhammer special attack or deal at least 64 damage with the Bandos godsword special attacks should teleport out and replenish their special attack energy.
Note: Vorkath has the same slash and crush Defence bonuses. However, the Bandos godsword's high accuracy makes it better than a single successful dragon warhammer + dragon defender special attack, provided the Bandos godsword deals at least 64 damage.
Banking and getting there quickly[edit | edit source]
It is recommended to use Fremennik sea boots 4, have your house in Rellekka, use an Enchanted lyre (or Enchanted lyre(i)), use a Rellekka teleport, or have a portal attuned to Lunar Isle or Waterbirth Island. After each successful Vorkath attempt using the toxic blowpipe, or once out of supplies with the dragon hunter crossbow, players should re-gear with one of the following methods:
- POH without pool: On world 330, set your POH to Rimmington or Yanille, teleport to outside your player-owned house with a house tablet, runes in your rune pouch or max cape/construction cape, enter a host's house at that location and use their ornate rejuvenation pool. This method requires a way of returning to Vorkath that doesn't depend on a Rellekka POH teleport.
- POH with pool: Teleport to your player-owned house with a house tablet, runes in your rune pouch or max cape/construction cape, and use an ornate rejuvenation pool.
- If elite Fremennik Diary is completed, banking can be done by teleporting to a nearby bank (through a Seers' Village portal or ring of dueling in a basic jewellery box, for example), and Fremennik sea boots 4 provide a fast unlimited teleport back to Rellekka.
- If elite Fremennik Diary is not completed, but Dream Mentor is partially completed, players may teleport to Lunar Isle through a portal and bank with 'Birds-Eye' Jack, then talk to any other person to get kicked off back to Rellekka.
- Clan Wars Free For All: Teleport to Clan Wars with a ring of dueling, use the Clan Wars bank to re-gear, and enter the FFA portal. Then, return to Vorkath using Fremennik sea boots 4, or teleporting to POH located in Rellekka. Note: this does not restore special attack, and resets any stats (boosted or drained) upon exiting.
- Chambers of Xeric: Use the Xeric's Honour teleport on Xeric's amulet or in your POH, start a raiding party, enter a raid, leave the raid. Note This does not restore special attack, resets any stats (boosted or drained) upon exiting, and requires you to be ranked in the Clan Chat you are in.
- Nardah: Teleport to Nardah with your Desert Amulet 4 and pray at the Elidinis Statuette there, which provides the same benefits as an Ornate rejuvenation pool, as well as a temporary boost to hit points above the player's maximum based on level. A bank is located nearby to the south. This method requires completion of the elite Desert Diary.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 20 Feb 2018. Mod Ash: "Relative weightings of 3 for magic, 4 for ranged."