|Released||7 May 2003 (Update)|
- 1 Details
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Required for completing
- 5 Changes
- 6 Trivia
Details[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Begin the quest by speaking to Watchtower Wizard north of Yanille in the Watchtower. You must climb the trellis on the north side of the tower to get up for the first time.|
|Description||The Wizards of the Yanille Watch Tower have been reporting increased ogre sightings recently. Use a wide variety of your skills to help the wizards recover their stolen power crystals and stop the advance of the ogre hordes!|
|Enemies to defeat|
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
- Note: If you do not have a house in Yanille, you can use the Nightmare Zone or Fishing Trawler minigame teleport and run west to get there; it may only be used once every 20 minutes, and you need to meet the requirements to play Nightmare Zone.
- Note: Throughout this quest, there are many ogres that can be talked to, and some of them will damage and/or inconvenience the player for talking to them, especially the Ogre Shamans who will hit the player for 20 Hitpoints. Read the guide ahead to avoid this!
- Additional note: Before reaching the necessary point in the quest, the guam leaf can be added to the vial of water, and the bat bones can be crushed with the pestle and mortar. The pestle and mortar can then be banked, freeing up two inventory spaces. Don't combine the powdered bones and unfinished guam potion or it will explode.
There is also a fairy ring located north-west of Yanille (code: ciq). From the ring, enter Yanille, and use the shortcut by the farming patch (requires 16 Agility). Another ring is located east of Yanille (code: cls). This ring is slightly closer to the Watchtower but has level 44 jungle spiders, which are aggressive to medium and low level players.
Getting started[edit | edit source]
Make your way to the Watchtower just north of Yanille. Climb the trellis on the northern side of the tower. Then, climb up the ladder and talk to the Watchtower wizard. He will explain that the Watchtower is not working because the spell created does not keep out ogres. He tells you that the crystals that make the spell have been stolen! After starting, you will be asked to search the grounds of the Watchtower. You can now use the tower's main ladder, but using the trellis avoids a conversation with the guard and gives you 31 Agility experience each time. Search the far north-west bush for some fingernails. You'll find some other things in other bushes (old robe, unusual armour, damaged dagger, tattered eye patch), but you only need to search until you find the fingernails. Go back to the Watchtower wizard, and show him the fingernails. You can drop the remaining items, as they have no value.
The wizard will tell you that the fingernails belong to Skavids, the servants of the ogres, and that they have stolen the four power crystals that protect the city from ogres. Your job is to recover the crystals.
The first thing you need to do is gain access to the city. In order to enter, you'll need to help out three ogre tribe chieftains to get pieces of an ogre relic. This can then be given to the gate guards to prove that you're a friend to the ogres.
Og[edit | edit source]
Note: The Ogres near all three camps are non-aggressive. First, go through the city of Yanille using the agility shortcut or the east entrance. Stop at the bank to grab your armour, food, two ropes, and one set of dragon bones if you haven't already. Head out the west gate and turn north-west to find a tribe of ogres. Note that, as a general rule of thumb, any ogre that wields a mace is non-aggressive. Talk to Og to learn that his nemesis, Toban, stole a bar of gold from him. Your job is to get it back. Og will give you a key to Toban's chest. Keep this key with you for later.
Grew[edit | edit source]
Head south of Og's tribe. You should see an island with an ogre tribe on it and some jangerberries. Find the long-branched tree on the west shore. Use one rope on the branch of the tree (not the tree itself) to swing to the island. Note that you will lose the rope. Take some jangerberries because you'll need them later in the quest. Talk to Grew. Grew will tell you to teach his enemy, Gorad, a lesson by knocking one of his teeth out (make sure that you have room in your inventory for this tooth, or you will have to kill him again).
Toban, and Gorad's tooth[edit | edit source]
The next stop is a third tribe of ogres. Leave Grew's island using the tree with the rope swing on the north side.
You will see a broken bridge leading to a small island. The next tribe you will need to meet is on that island, but the bridge is out so you will need to find another way across. Keep going a little bit south of the bridge.
Then, turn west and continue along the southern edge of Gu'tanoth until you reach a hole surrounded by rocks. Pick up the death rune a ways south of this hole if you need it. The hole is west-northwest of the gnome glider. (See map above).
Enter the hole to reach an island with Toban's tribe on it. South of the ladder, you should find a level 68 chieftain called Gorad. Talk to him and tell him that you have come to knock his teeth out. He will attack you. Kill him to get a tooth. Keep the tooth for later. Gorad can be safe-spotted in the center of the island for Ranged or Magic users.
Completing the relic[edit | edit source]
Leave the island via the ladder. Make your way around the west side of the ogre city or teleport by either walking or using a ring of dueling or Minigame Group Finder teleport to Castle Wars and walk back to Grew's island (with the jangerberries). Use your second rope on the tree. Talk to Grew to give him Gorad's tooth. You will receive another piece of the relic in return for your deed. He will also give you the first crystal! Keep this for later. If you don't have jangerberries yet, pick some from the island before you leave. Then, leave the island using the rope swing and head north back to Og. Talk to him to give him his stolen gold bar. You will receive the final piece of the relic.
Once you have all three parts of the relic, take them to the Watchtower wizard to get them assembled. Head through Yanille, and use the agility shortcut if possible. While at the Watchtower, pick up a candle at the spawn on the ground level if you need a light source.
Access to Gu'Tanoth[edit | edit source]
Items needed: 20 coins (27 coins if you need to buy a pestle and mortar and vial), anti-dragon shield, a death rune, and the Ogre relic. Bring your gold bar, tinderbox, and light source as well to save a bank trip.
After you have the full relic, head back through Yanille and either use the southern grapple shortcut or get out directly from the west gate.
At the split, take the north-west trail to the Ogre guards. Talk to them (with the Ogre relic in your inventory), and they will let you into the city (using your relic on them doesn't work, as "The ogre has not asked you for anything").
Once you're inside the city, go east and then south to the market. The ogres aren't aggressive, but watch out for the Ogre traders, who will attack if spoken to. There is also a non-aggressive merchant named Grud (labelled Ogre merchant) who will sell you Herblore supplies. Buy a pestle and mortar and vial (7 coins total) from him for later use if you do not already have them in your inventory. Find the southern stall in the market with food (grey cylinders) on it, and then steal a rock cake. Be careful with the cake as the left-click option eats it, dealing damage and forcing you to go steal another.
Go back on the main path to the west and follow it south. You'll find two more guards. Talk to one. Be careful of what you say, the guard will knock you out of the area if you mess up. Tell them you are a friend of the ogres (first option); they will then ask for some food from the market. Do not eat the rock cake! Use the rock cake on the guard to get by. Then, continue on until you find a broken bridge. Attempt to jump the gap in the bridge. (Find the "Jump-Over" by clicking on your side of the gap for a red X option). The guards will ask for money, so pay them 20 coins to cross the gap. Grab the knife here if you need a slash weapon; you will need it later for webs.
Pass the aggressive ogre and you will find several city guards. If you talk to them, they'll give you a word puzzle. The answer to the puzzle is "death rune". Give the guard the death rune you grabbed earlier and he will give you a map of the Skavid Caves.
- *Note: One of the medium tasks in the Ardougne achievement diary requires you to have a Skavid map. If you ever plan on doing these tasks, you should keep the map so that you don't have to come back here to get another. This task is automatically completed during the quest.
Skavid caves[edit | edit source]
The Skavid Caves are a series of caves located beneath the ogre city. Their entrances are scattered around the north and east sides of the city. You need the Skavid map and a light source to get in. Their locations are:
- 1) (Scared Skavid) East of Gu'Tanoth along the south-east branch of the entrance path to the city. It will teach you the Skavid languge.
- 2) North-east of Gu'Tanoth along the main entrance path to the city. It will say: "Bidith tanath.", the correct response is "Cur."
- 3) North of Gu'Tanoth near the opening of the main entrance path to the city. It will say: "Gor cur...", the correct reponse is "Ar."
- 4) North of Gu'Tanoth south of the west gate to Yanille, contains a cave nightshade. It will say: "Cur Bidith.", the correct response is "Ig."
- 5) East of Gu'Tanoth outside the city around the east side of the mountain (5). It will say: "Tanath gor.", the correct reponse is "Nod."
You can also refer to the map above to find the cave entrances.
You will need to enter all of the caves until you find the Scared skavid, who will teach you some basic Skavid words if you promise not to hurt it. Then, go to the other four caves and talk to each (regular) Skavid, and give them the correct response (see below). Once it says that they understood you, move on to the next cave with the next Skavid.
Go past the Skavid caves along the south-east path of the entrance to the Ogre City and use the gold bar on one of the guards to gain access. Go south and west across the bridge and enter the cave (6). Talk to the mad skavid and respond with the language you just learned.
- If he says "Ar cur", the correct response is "Gor".
- If he says "Bidith ig", the correct response is "Cur".
- If he says "Gor nod", the correct response is "Tanath".
- If he says "Cur tanath", the correct response is "Bidith".
- If he says "Bidith tanath", the correct response is "Cur".
- If he says "Tanath gor", the correct response is "Nod".
- If he says "Cur bidith", the correct response is "Ig".
- If he says "Gor cur", the correct response is "Ar".
If you respond correctly, the Skavid will give you a crystal. Take two cave nightshades* at the spawn inside. Do NOT eat the nightshade as it will cause damage to you. The hole in the corner will take you back to Yanille.
*(Medium task in the Ardougne achievement diary)
The Ogre Enclave[edit | edit source]
Make sure you have your anti-dragon shield equipped. Go back to the Gu'Tanoth marketplace (just west of where you stole the rock cake) and use one of your nightshades on an enclave guard, near a cave entrance on the west, to distract them. Be careful – do not eat a cave nightshade. Additionally, make sure you complete the dialogue, or else you will have to get another cave nightshade. After continuing the dialogue, a warning alert regarding the danger of the enclave will appear, proceed forward if you are ready and you will automatically enter the Ogre Enclave.
You'll see a short cutscene with an Ogre shaman and a Blue dragon. Do not attack or talk to the shamans, or you will instantly lose 20 Hitpoints. The last two crystals are here, but you can't get them without some help.
Magic ogre potion[edit | edit source]
Head north into Yanille. Stop at the bank to grab a vial (with or without water), a guam leaf, a pestle and mortar, jangerberries, and bat bones if you have them.
Head back toward the Watchtower. If you need bat bones, a little east of the Watchtower, you'll find a house whose entrance is covered in webs. Take a slashing weapon or a knife, cut through the web and enter the building. You will find several giant bats. Kill one and take its bones.
Return to the Watchtower. If your vial is empty, fill it at the fountain outside.
You must add the ingredients in this order:
- Add a guam leaf to a vial of water.
- Add some jangerberries. Be careful because the left-click option is to eat. If accidentally eaten, they respawn on Grew's island - you'll need another rope.
- Use your pestle and mortar on the bat bones to grind them. Add the ground bat bones to the vial mixture. The vial will turn into a potion.
- Give the potion to the Watchtower wizard to get it enchanted, turning it into magic ogre potion.
Shaman slaying[edit | edit source]
Return to the Yanille bank to prepare for the blue dragon and shaman enclave. Bring your pickaxe, an anti-dragonfire shield, cave nightshade and some food. Now, go back to the market place in Gu'Tanoth. Distract the cave guards using your second nightshade, and enter the cave. Again, you must complete the dialogue by using the spacebar or pressing click here to continue, or else you will have to get another cave nightshade. Run around the cave and use the magic ogre potion on each of the six ogre shamans while avoiding the blue dragons as much as possible. The potion will instantly kill the shamans and you won't take any damage. The last shaman you kill will drop the cyan crystal, which is automatically put into your inventory.
If you somehow lose the cyan crystal, there is a Shaman robe in the south-east corner, amongst some bones where you can pick it up and search it for the crystal.
To get the last crystal, find the Rock of Dalgroth in the Ogre Enclave in the centre of the Enclave and mine it with your pickaxe. This is in the cave with the blue dragons. Mine the rock before leaving the cave, otherwise you will need to get nightshades again.
Reviving the Watchtower[edit | edit source]
Items needed: All 4 crystals.
Leave the enclave using the far north exit again (or use a Nightmare Zone minigame teleport). Grab the yellow crystal if you banked it earlier, and take all four crystals back to the Watchtower. Talk to the Watchtower wizard, and he will ask you to fix the machine for him.
The crystals must be placed in these places:
- Yellow crystal in the south-west pillar
- Grey crystal in the south-east pillar
- Cyan crystal in the north-west pillar
- Magenta crystal in the north-east pillar
Finally, pull the lever on the west side of the room to complete the quest.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 4 Quest Quest points
- 15,250 Magic Magic experience
- 5,000 Coins
- A scroll, the reading of which gives you the ability to use Watchtower Teleport
- Access to the ogre city (and Ogre Enclave where you can fight blue dragons. You will not need an extra nightshade to enter after the quest is complete.)
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Completion of Watchtower is required for the following:
Changes[edit | edit source]
|26 November 2015
|Typo correction: Jangerberries was misspelt in the Watchtower quest.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Interestingly, the Ogre Shaman and the Blue Dragon that appear in the cutscene when you first enter the Ogre Enclave have a combat level of 1 and 27 respectively.
- The order of crystals at the end of quest - reading in lines from northwest first, (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Grey) is a reference to CMYK, a subtractive colour model used in colour printing.
- If you examine the trellis from the second story of the Watchtower, it just says "Trellis."
Trivia Citations[edit | edit source]
- After entering the hole in Mad Skavid's cave that take you back to Yanille, the message in the chat box appears "So that's how the skavids are getting into Yanille!"