What Lies Below
|What Lies Below (#123)|
|Release date||27 March 2007 (Update)|
Details[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Talk to Rat Burgiss south of Varrock.|
|Description||A travelling trader has been stranded south of Varrock after his cart was attacked by local outlaws. He needs the help of a hero to recover his lost documents, but that's not all... The Varrock Palace Secret Guard (VPSG) are on the trail of treacherous dealings with the Monks of Zamorak. Will you be able to help the VPSG and uncover what lies below?|
|Official length||Short – Medium|
|Enemies to defeat|
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Start[edit | edit source]
Speak to Rat Burgiss. He will tell you that a bunch of outlaws have ransacked his trading cart and that he needs you to get back the five papers they stole from him. He will give you an empty folder to keep them in.
The outlaws are located south of the fairy ring (code DKR if you've started Fairytale II - Cure a Queen), west of the Grand Exchange; from the Grand Exchange, you can use the shortcut (requires 21 Agility) to get to the location of the outlaws more easily; Alternatively, use an Amulet of glory to teleport to Edgeville crossing the east bridge and head south; A last option is to use a Ring of wealth to teleport to the Grand Exchange and using the Underwall tunnel (level 21 Agility) or walking south along the wall.
Head to the library, on the north side of the ground floor of the castle, and speak to Surok Magis. He will destroy the letter and tell you that he can turn plain clay into gold bars! He will need two items, an ordinary bowl and an infused wand. He will give you Sin'keth's diary and a wand to be infused with chaos.
If you want to get kudos and a magic lamp from the Varrock museum you'll need to get the book Dagon'hai History. You'll find it in one of the two bookcases furthest east. After the quest you can give the book to the Historian Minas on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the Varrock museum.
Chaos altar[edit | edit source]
Option 1[edit | edit source]
Head to the Chaos altar entrance in the Wilderness, and once inside, make your way through the maze to the Chaos altar. This can take some time as the maze can get frustrating, and walking into the Wilderness to get to the altar can also be dangerous. Once in, use the wand on the Altar.
Option 2[edit | edit source]
Read the Sin'keth's diary, and then go east of Varrock. Go south-west of the Lumberyard and west of the Earth altar. You should find a statue of Saradomin. Talk to Anna Jones, and she will give you a bronze pickaxe. You must use a bronze pickaxe to excavate the statue to reveal the Tunnel of Chaos entrance. Enter the tunnel, and you will find that Dagon'hai organisation lives there. Head north until you reach a portal. The portal leads to the second level of the Chaos Maze. Head east by clicking the platform with a ladder that you can climb up but do not climb up this ladder. Next head slightly south, then west to the ladder that you can climb down. Lastly, walk east to reach the altar.
Option 3[edit | edit source]
Wand[edit | edit source]
Use your wand on the altar, and it will absorb the 15 chaos runes and turn to the Infused wand. Now, return to the library of Varrock, and talk to Surok Magis with the infused wand and bowl. He will then give you Surok's letter for Rat.
Ending[edit | edit source]
Head back to Rat, and deliver the letter. Rat will explain to you that he is actually the commander of Varrock Palace Secret Guard and that Surok Magis is planning on taking over the Kingdom of Misthalin by using a mind-control spell on King Roald. Rat will direct you to Zaff, owner of the staff shop in Varrock, in order to prepare a spell to counteract Surok's.
Talk to Zaff, and he will explain his plan to you. Zaff will give you a Beacon ring and Zaff's instructions on how to arrest Surok Magis. Get your gear ready for a fight. Head to Surok Magis (who is now wearing Dagon'hai robes), and talk to him. He will cast his spell on King Roald, and you will have to fight him. Fight King Roald (level 47) until he is at very low HP (It is recommended to use a weapon for most of his health and then punch him until it says "Now would be a good time to summon Zaff!" in the chatbox), and then operate the Beacon ring (You do not need to be wearing the ring to operate it).
Zaff will arrive and will save King Roald by teleporting him away. Zaff then casts a spell on Surok Magis that seals him in the library from now on. He is now contained to the library forever. Zaff then casts another spell and the library goes dark. When the light comes back, evidence of the battle is cleaned up and Zaff is gone. After this occurs, you will be able to purchase battlestaves from Zaff's Superior Staffs!
Return to Rat Burgiss to finish the quest. If you are a 1 defence pure, it is advised not to speak to Rat, as Defence experience will be gained. Regardless, a confirmation message is given right before completion of the quest.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 Quest Quest point
- 8,000 Runecraft Runecraft experience
- 2,000 Defence Defence experience
- The Beacon ring
- Access to a shortcut to the chaos altar
Music[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The 'Aphro-Dizzy-Yak' Surok mentions refers to "aphrodisiac", something which causes sexual arousal.
- The woman who gives you a bronze pickaxe to help find the shortcut is named Anna Jones. If you talk to her further, she reveals her full name to be Louisiana Jones, a play on the famous movie hero Indiana Jones.
- The Letter to Surok obtained from Rat Burgiss can be translated, and foreshadows Surok's plan before it is fully revealed.
- The player character says "Won't he be disinclined to acquiesce to the request?" which is a reference to a line said by Captain Barbossa in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.
- If you have completed the Garden of Tranquillity quest, while fighting King Roald, he will shout phrases like "I'm allergic to roses!" and "That garden was awful!", which is a reference to the quest. If Shield of Arrav is completed, he will also say, "A member of the Phoenix Gang?". If Darkness of Hallowvale is completed, he will say, "You are with the vampires!".
- A update made it possible to buy staffs at Zaff's in Varrock without completing What Lies Below
- After giving Rat Burgiss his 5 pages you will ask him for a reward, at which he will say no and your character will answer with "All work and no play makes *player's name* a dull adventurer! " which is a reference to the movie The Shining ( 1980) .