X Marks the Spot
|X Marks the Spot (#142)|
|Release date||7 February 2019 (Update)|
|Quest series||Great Kourend|
It is mainly targeted at low levels and is designed to act as a small introduction to Great Kourend while providing more links between Kourend and the mainland. In this quest, the player must embark on a short treasure hunt for Veos. While not initially obvious, the events of this quest are important to the overall Kourend storyline.
Details[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Speak to Veos in The Sheared Ram in Lumbridge.|
|Description||Veos has long been a lover of treasure hunts and his latest hunt has brought him to Lumbridge. However, not knowing the area well, Veos could use some help finding this treasure.|
|Enemies to defeat||None|
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Getting Started[edit | edit source]
Items Required: None. Suggested: 1 Lumbridge teleport method.
Speak to Veos in Lumbridge at the The Sheared Ram pub. You may wish to use a Lumbridge teleport method. He has travelled to Lumbridge on a treasure hunt after finding a scroll in Great Kourend, a kingdom far west of the mainland. However, due to not being familiar with the area, he is stuck on what to do next. Offer to help him, and he will give you a treasure scroll.
The First Clue[edit | edit source]
The first clue on the treasure scroll will state "Within the town of Lumbridge lives a man named Bob. He walks out of his door and takes 1 step east, 7 steps north, 5 steps west and 1 step south. Once he arrives, he digs a hole and buries his treasure."
From Bob's Brilliant Axes (indicated by the icon), follow the directions as stated by the scroll and dig with a spade. The correct spot is the tile in front of the northwestern window, directly west of the bush. You will receive the next treasure scroll step.
The Second Clue[edit | edit source]
The second clue on the treasure scroll is a map. This will lead to the door behind the Lumbridge Castle by the Cook's kitchen. Dig on the tile directly south-west of the large crate here and you will receive a mysterious orb.
The Third Clue[edit | edit source]
The mysterious orb is used to locate the next clue. Based on an older children's game, feel the orb and it will tell you how close you are to the treasure. Its temperature is based on the distance of the treasure from the player, measured in the number of steps it would take to reach the treasure, ignoring any obstacles (this is the Chebyshev distance between the player and treasure). Then, teleport or walk to another location, and check to see if the mysterious orb has gotten warmer.
The location to dig is just east of Draynor Village, located north-west of the jail and south of the wheat field, near where Leela is. Dig four steps to the north of the large plant there. You may wish to use a Draynor Village teleport method, requiring only a short walk north-east. If you are a lower level, watch out for the aggressive jail guards nearby. You will obtain another treasure scroll.
The Fourth Clue[edit | edit source]
The fourth clue is a Caesar shift that encrypts a location. In order to decode a Caesar shifted message, you must first count the number of times a letter appears within the cipher. See here on how to solve a Caesar shift.
The cipher, ESBZOPS QJH QFO, when decoded, is DRAYNOR PIG PEN. Dig in the centre of the pig pen where Martin the Master Gardener is, and you will receive an ancient casket, which lets out a faint whispering, though you can't make out what it says.
After obtaining the casket, head directly to the northernmost dock in Port Sarim and give Veos the treasure. When asked what was in it, he will shiftily state it was nothing important, just something that might be useful to him back in Great Kourend.
Digsite locations[edit | edit source]
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 Quest Quest point
- 200 coins
- Antique lamp which provides 300 XP in a skill of the player's choosing.
- Beginner clue scroll (only if the player does not have one in their possession)
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Upon release on 7 February 2019, this quest generated some controversy because a house in Lumbridge (which had been unchanged since 2007) was redesigned as a pub and a dock was added to Draynor Village. Some players felt that changes to free-to-play areas (not referenced in the X Marks the Spot poll) were inappropriate without prior consultation from the playerbase.
- Due to the controversy from the playerbase, they moved Veos again for the second time only a week after release, to the dock directly south of the pub in Port Sarim.
- Players that completed X Marks the Spot before Beginner clues were added to the game can claim their own by speaking to Veos in Port Sarim again. Note that you won't receive it by speaking to him at Port Piscarilius.
Related Links[edit | edit source]
Wiki Links[edit | edit source]
- The Optimal quest guide lists Old School RuneScape quests in an order that allows new level 3 members account to progress in an order that minimises the amount of skill training.
- The List of quests lists Old School RuneScape quests, both free-to-play and pay-to-play quests.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ed's Twitter account. 18 January 2019. Mod Ed: "On the surface this one will feel a bit more generic I expect. However, the events of this quest are still important to the overall Kourend story, even if that's not initially obvious."
- Jagex. Mod Ed's Twitter account. 18 January 2019. Mod Ed: "It also has different dialogue depending on if you've been to Kourend before so any advertisy dialogue should only appear to those that have never been."
- His original ship was in the southmost dock of Port Sarim shipyard.