X Marks the Spot
|X Marks the Spot (#142)|
|Release date||7 February 2019 (Update)|
|Quest series||Great Kourend|
It is mainly targeted at low levels and is designed to act as a small introduction to Kourend while providing more links between Kourend and the mainland. In this quest, the player must embark on a short treasure hunt for Veos. While not initially obvious, the events of this quest are important to the overall Kourend storyline.
Details[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Speak to Veos in The Sheared Ram in Lumbridge.|
|Description||Veos has long been a lover of treasure hunts and his latest hunt has brought him to Lumbridge. However, not knowing the area well, Veos could use some help finding this treasure.|
|Official length||Short (Under 10 minutes)|
|Enemies to defeat||None|
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Speak to Veos in The Sheared Ram pub in Lumbridge. He has travelled to Lumbridge on a treasure hunt after finding a scroll in Great Kourend, a kingdom far west of the mainland. However, due to not being familiar with the area, he is stuck on what to do next. Offer to help him, and he will give you a treasure scroll.
Should players be stuck during any step of the clue, players can seek Veos either in dock just south of the The Rusty Anchor or The Sheared Ram in Lumbridge for hints.
The first clue[edit | edit source]
The first clue on the treasure scroll will state "Within the town of Lumbridge lives a man named Bob. He walks out of his door and takes 1 step east, 7 steps north, 5 steps west and 1 step south. Once he arrives, he digs a hole and buries his treasure."
From Bob's shop (indicated by the icon), follow the directions as stated by the scroll and dig with a spade: this is the tile in front of the western window. You will receive the next treasure scroll step.
The second clue[edit | edit source]
The third clue[edit | edit source]
The mysterious orb is used to locate the next clue. Based on an older children's game, feel the mysterious orb and it will tell you how close you are to the treasure. Its temperature is based on the distance of the treasure from the player, measured in the number of steps it would take to reach the treasure, ignoring any obstacles (this is the Chebyshev distance between the player and treasure). Then, teleport or walk to another location, and check to see if the mysterious orb has gotten warmer.
The orb works in much the same way as the Enchanted key Miniquest.
The location to dig is just east of Draynor Village, north of the jail and south of the wheat field, near where Leela is. An amulet of glory will teleport the player close to the final location, requiring only a short walk north-east. You will obtain another treasure scroll.
The fourth clue[edit | edit source]
The fourth clue is a Caesar shift that encrypts a location. In order to decode a Caesar shifted message, you must first count the number of times a letter appears within the cipher. See here on how to solve a Caesar shift.
The cipher, ESBZOPS QJH QFO, when decoded, is DRAYNOR PIG PEN. Dig in the center of the pig pen where Martin the Master Gardener is, and you will receive an ancient casket, which lets out a faint whispering, though you can't make out what it says.
After obtaining the casket, head directly west to the dock directly south of The Rusty Anchor in Port Sarim and give Veos the treasure. When asked what was in it, he will shiftily state it was nothing important, just something that might be useful to him back in Great Kourend.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Upon release, in February 7th 2019, this quest generated some controversy because a house in Lumbridge (which had been unchanged since 2007) was redesigned as a pub and a dock was added to Draynor Village. Some players felt that changes to free-to-play areas (not referenced in the X Marks the Spot poll) were inappropriate without prior consultation from the playerbase.
- Due to the controversy from the player base, they moved Veos again for the second time only a week after the release, to the dock directly south from the pub in Port Sarim.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ed's Twitter account. 18 January 2019. Mod Ed: "On the surface this one will feel a bit more generic I expect. However, the events of this quest are still important to the overall Kourend story, even if that's not initially obvious."
- Jagex. Mod Ed's Twitter account. 18 January 2019. Mod Ed: "It also has different dialogue depending on if you've been to Kourend before so any advertisy dialogue should only appear to those that have never been."
- His original ship was in the southmost dock of Port Sarim shipyard.