|Released||25 March 2002 (Update)|
|Woodcutting XP||175 xp|
|Respawn time||59.4 seconds|
|Examine||A splendid tree.|
|Examine||This is what is left of a yew tree.|
A yew tree is a high level lumber tree requiring level 60 Woodcutting to chop, providing 175 experience per set of yew logs received. They are mostly used for Woodcutting to gather yew logs used in Fletching or Firemaking, but also play a role in Farming. Due to the use of yew logs for fletching yew longbows, which are commonly used with High Alchemy spell, yew logs are extremely popular and constantly in demand. Cutting yew logs is a common moneymaker for Free-to-play.
Tree locations[edit | edit source]
Yew trees are considered rare trees for the purpose of the rare trees minimap icon . Yew trees are shown on the Worldmap and minimap as a droopy tree . The rare tree icon and the droopy tree image are shared with several other trees, so the icon and image does not directly mean it is a yew tree.
Free areas[edit | edit source]
- 1 in the Lumbridge graveyard. This Yew does not exist in deadman mode worlds.
- 1 outside Varrock Church. This Yew does not exist in deadman mode worlds.
- 1 south of Varrock, north of a pen of sheep.
- 1 north-east of Port Sarim near the wall separating Port Sarim and Draynor Village
- 2 in the ruins in Edgeville, they are also very close to a bank, which makes this a crowded location.
- 3 inside the Corsair Cove Resource Area (requires completion of Dragon Slayer).
- 3 in the forest south of Falador.
- 3 on the lawn behind Varrock Palace. These Yews do not exist in deadman mode worlds.
- 3 east of Varrock, west of the Earth Altar and 1 outside of the Earth Altar.
- 4 in the forest east of Draynor and west of Lumbridge.
- 4 near Rimmington and south of Melzar's Maze.
Member areas[edit | edit source]
- 1 in Otto's Grotto
- 1 in Zanaris.
- 2 south-east of the Legends' Guild.
- 3 south of Seers' Village bank in the church courtyard/graveyard.
- 3 outside the southern exit of Port Phasmatys, close to bank.
- 3 surrounding Nieve's cave, west of the bank in the Tree Gnome Stronghold. These Yews do not exist in deadman mode worlds.
- 3 scattered across the Piscatoris Hunter area.
- 3 directly south-east of Lovakengj Minecart Network station in Hosidius.
- 4 in the south-east corner of the Tree Gnome Stronghold. These Yews do not exist in deadman mode worlds.
- 4 in a grove east of the Tyras Camp.
- 7 in a grove west of Catherby, south of the flax field + 1 more tree located on the north-east side of the nearby beehive area.
- 11 surrounding the base of Eagles' Peak (2 of which are inaccessible)
- 4 in the Wilderness resource area (7500 coins entry fee, can note logs on Piles for 50 coins each)
- 17 In Woodcutting Guild (60 Woodcutting and 75% Hosidius favour required for entry to the guild) - very close to a deposit box and a bank chest
- 3 In Prifddinas to the southeast, near the southern bank
- 3 next to Saltpetres in Hosidius
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Yew trees have a 1 in 8 chance of depleting when receiving a log, and a respawn time of 99 ticks or 59.4 seconds. A roll to receive a log is done every 4 game ticks when chopping. The chance to successfully chop is affected by the axe used and Woodcutting level, better axes and a higher woodcutting level increases the likelihood of successfully receiving a log.
Cut chance[edit | edit source]
Farming[edit | edit source]
With level 60 farming, Yew seeds may be grown into a Yew tree, which gives yew logs when cut down. Checking on a fully grown and healthy Yew tree will give 7069.9 Farming experience. It takes 6 hours and 40 minutes to grow. When cut down, the tree will automatically regrow after a period of time. Alternatively, it can be dug up using a spade, yielding some yew roots in the process. A player may also pay 10 cactus spines to a nearby farmer to guarantee its growth.
Lore[edit | edit source]
There are several mentions of yew trees by NPCs around Gielinor as well as in books. The following text is transcluded from Gielinor's flora - trees. The information found within the book is more often than not just flavour text, and does not reflect their properties or uses within the game itself.
A rare evergreen tree prized for its durability. Yew is remarkable[sic] elastic, making it the ideal wood for products that require springiness, such as bows. Yews are fairly unique in the plant world in that separate trees can be either male of female. The male yews bloom and release abundant amount of pollen in the spring which is unusually toxic causing headaches, itching, and skin rashes. Although all parts of the yews are poisonous to some extent, when treated properly the roots can be used an ingredient when making antidotes to common poisons.
Additional drops[edit | edit source]
- Beaver – Yew trees have a chance to drop the beaver Woodcutting pet. At level 60 Woodcutting there is a 1 in 143,513 chance to receive the beaver and a 1 in 142,538 chance at level 99.
- Bird Nest – There is 1 in 256 chance to drop from yew trees. The bird nest will be dropped on the ground and will despawn after 30 second if not picked up. The Bird nest will be given in place of logs.
- Clue nest – Yew trees can drop all clue nests. At level 60 Woodcutting there is an approximately 1 in 906 chance to receive an easy-elite clue nest and a 1 in 728 chance at level 99. Beginner clue nests have a universal 1 in 1000 chance to be dropped.
- Crystal shard – Yew trees cut in Prifddinas have a chance to drop crystal shards. There is a 1 in 80 chance to receive a crystal shard when a log is received. 
Changes[edit | edit source]
|19 February 2015
|Free-to-play players can once again cut down yew trees.|
|22 May 2014
|Chopping yews was made members-only.|
References[edit | edit source]