|Released||25 July 2019 (Update)|
|Examine||A former demon of Zamorak that has been turned to stone.|
|Immune to poison||Immune to venom|
Zalcano is a demon imprisoned beneath Prifddinas that is fought using skilling rather than conventional combat. Being immune to traditional combat damage, players must use their Mining, Smithing and Runecraft skills to create imbued tephra capable of destroying her stone armour. Once her armour has been destroyed, they must damage her by mining her with a pickaxe.
Zalcano's prison can be accessed from Prifddinas' Trahaearn district via a teleport platform just west of the south-eastern bank. As Prifddinas requires completion of Song of the Elves to access, Zalcano requires a minimum of 70 Mining and Smithing to be fought, though higher levels in Mining, Smithing and Runecraft will be advantageous, as well as higher Hitpoints to withstand her various attacks. All of Zalcano's attacks are typeless, meaning that protection prayers cannot be used to reduce their chance of taking damage or the damage itself.
History[edit | edit source]
Zalcano is a demon and Skotizo's sister, who both held the rank of general in Zamorak's armies. During the God Wars, when Zamorak personally sent Skotizo and his squad to recover an artefact in the Karamjan Temple, Skotizo eagerly took the mission only to betray his squad and take the artefact for himself, escaping to a certain continent far west. Zamorak held Zalcano personally responsible for her brother's treachery, and cursed her to slowly turn to stone, which would only be lifted if she brought her brother back to him.
Believing that Skotizo had fled to the elven lands of Tirannwn, Zalcano made her way there. The elves initially believed she was the first of many demons to attack their city, but to their surprise, she was the only one and roamed the forests as if she was looking for something. Amlodd mystics soon learned a curse was slowly turning her to stone, and this prompted the Trahaearn Clan to capture her for study. The Ithell and Trahaearn Clans worked together to create a prison in the volcanic caverns to keep her in the city, and successfully captured her, albeit with many casualties.
Following her capture, the curse accelerated, with an elf believing it to be the result of Zamorak already knowing she had failed her mission. With the help of Amlodd magic and Meilyr potions, the elves learned why she came to Tirannwn.
Though she had appeared to have slowly descended into madness, the elves dared not to release her as they had lost many of their brethren luring her inside and did not want her power to grow unchecked. The aforementioned elf returned many years later to personally see the demon they were studying, and was surprised when she talked, simply muttering the name "Skotizo".
Today, she remains in Prifddinas, and the Trahaearn elves who study her often require aid in keeping her in check.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
While the player is inside the prison, Zalcano has six different attacks that the player must watch out for as they attempt to take on the stone demon. Each of the attacks are performed at random intervals throughout the fight.
- Zalcano will stomp on the ground, causing boulders to fall from the ceiling. These are easily avoided by stepping at least one tile away. Boulders can be easily spotted by watching out for the falling pebbles/dirt, which will be followed by the falling boulder. It is also easy to know which tile they are falling onto by the location of their shadow on the ground. Players who are hit by these can take 40+ damage.
- Zalcano will summon blue and orange demonic symbols. If a player is standing on a blue demonic symbol when attacking Zalcano with imbued tephra, it will increase the players accuracy and damage significantly. The orange demonic symbols, however, should be avoided, These will damage the player as well as reduce their run energy if they pass through it or stand in it. Damage is dealt constantly if a player stands within it and can result in a quick death if they are not paying attention.
- Zalcano will summon a golem on the edge of the prison. If the golem reaches her, it will restore her armour's health based on the health of the Golem. If the Golem is at full health, it will restore 50 hitpoints towards her armour. It is possible for a player to hurt the golem with the imbued tephra. The golem will also drop 16-24 imbued tephra when killed.
- Zalcano will fire a red ball of energy at the current glowing red rock formation to deactivate it, changing its location. If a player is standing near the rock formation when this happens, they will take 24+ damage. These can be avoided by walking away from the rock.
- After Zalcano has fallen and players have caused her damage, she will rise again. If any players are standing next to her while this occurs, she will create a shockwave push them back, causing the player small amounts of damage. All tephra are destroyed as well.
- Zalcano will randomly hit all players within the prison with a barrage of small pebbles. These are not avoidable, but players will only take a few hitpoints worth of damage.
Players will also get damaged if they stand under Zalcano when she has fallen. Damage rate is much less than an orange symbol, dealing around 3-10 damage per tick, and the danger persists until Zalcano begins to rise again.
Max Hit Calculation[edit | edit source]
When attacking Zalcano with a pickaxe the max hit is calculated from the following table based on mining level plus where is the level requirement for the pickaxe being used.
|Mining Level||Max Hit|
|95 - 104||33|
|85 - 94||32|
|75 - 84||31|
|1 - 74||30|
Regardless of the amount of damage done, the same amount of Mining experience is awarded per hit.
|Mining XP[i 1]||35.2 xp|
|Required tool||Any pickaxe|
- Has no direct level requirement, but requires completion of Song of the Elves ( 70 ) to access.
Location[edit | edit source]
Drops[edit | edit source]
Drops from the main table and from the tertiary table scale with the player's points from the kill. The points are calculated as shown in fig.1, For the tertiary table, the damage to hitpoints and shield are capped to a max of 400 and 300 respectively, for a maximum of 1,000 points.
Where PM is points towards main table, PT is points towards tertiary table, H is damage to hitpoints and S is damage to shield.
The MVP, the player who deals the most damage to Zalcano, will also receive an additional 10% (rounded up) of their non-unique loot.
Drop rates estimated based on 655,595 kills from the Drop Rate Project, unless otherwise cited.
100%[edit | edit source]
Ashes are only dropped for the MVP. Players eligible for a drop will receive one crystal shard, players eligible for unique drops or pet will receive two shards and the MVP will receive three shards.
|Crystal shard||1–3||Always||Not sold||N/A|
Runes[edit | edit source]
Materials[edit | edit source]
|Silver ore||102–800 (noted)||3/36||3,774–29,600||4,590–36,000|
|Mithril ore||56–387 (noted)||2/36||4,760–32,895||5,432–37,539|
|Adamantite ore||51–289 (noted)||2/36||46,767–265,013||12,240–69,360|
|Runite ore||3–26 (noted)||2/36||33,048–286,416||5,760–49,920|
|Gold ore||86–721 (noted)||3/36||12,384–103,824||7,740–64,890|
|Steel bar||78–534 (noted)||3/36||29,016–198,648||4,680–32,040|
|Mithril bar||54–459 (noted)||3/36||37,908–322,218||9,720–82,620|
|Adamantite bar||15–107 (noted)||2/36||27,510–196,238||5,760–41,088|
|Runite bar||3–27 (noted)||2/36||36,999–332,991||9,000–81,000|
|Uncut diamond||2–21 (noted)||2/36||5,254–55,167||240–2,520|
|Uncut dragonstone||1–11 (noted)||2/36||13,903–152,933||600–6,600|
|Onyx bolt tips||4–44||2/36||33,560–369,160||2,400–26,400|
|Pure essence||784–5,500 (noted)||1/36||784–5,500||1,568–11,000|
Tertiary[edit | edit source]
Every Zalcano kill has a 1/200 chance of rolling the crystal tool seed table which includes a 1/40 chance for uncut onyx. Of the players participating in the kill, the players with more points have a higher chance of rolling this table. The Zalcano shard and Smolcano are rolled independently per player.
|Crystal tool seed||1||1/200||5,416,599||300,000|
Combat Achievements[edit | edit source]
The following Combat Achievement tasks involve Zalcano.
|Zalcano Veteran||Kill Zalcano 150 times.||Elite||Kill count|
|Perfect Zalcano||Kill Zalcano 5 times in a row without leaving or getting hit by the following: Falling rocks, rock explosions, Zalcano powering up, or standing in a red symbol.||Elite||Perfection|
|Team Player||Receive imbued tephra from a golem.||Elite||Mechanical|
|The Spurned Hero||Kill Zalcano as the player who has dealt the most damage to her.||Elite||Mechanical|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|23 June 2021
(update | poll)
Zalcano now drops infernal ashes in place of regular ashes.
|21 May 2020
Smolcano now has a static 1/2,250 drop rate for any eligible players instead of 1/1,500 to 1/2,775 that scaled to player performance.
|27 February 2020
|20 February 2020
|13 February 2020
|8 August 2019
|1 August 2019
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the Trailblazer League, it was possible to fight Zalcano without the Mining or Smithing requirement, because Song of the Elves could be automatically completed.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 19 November 2020. (Archived from the original on 10 January 2020.)
- Jagex. Mod Lenny's Twitter account. 28 October 2019. (Archived from the original on 19 November 2019.) Mod Lenny: "Yeah, 50 armour and 50 health would reach the minimum contribution. There are some other little details along the way about having to have contributed a minimum in both areas, but anybody properly engaging in the fight should always pass those thresholds without question."
- Jagex. Mod Husky's Twitter account. 10 March 2020. (Archived from the original on 27 March 2020.) Mod Husky: "Not sure if we mentioned this but when we adjusted the Zalcano drops we changed how many crystal shards are handed out so that players know how many "points" they earned.
- 1 Shard - Player eligible for a drop
- 2 Shards - Player eligible for uniques/pet
- 3 Shards - Player is the MVP"
- Jagex. Mod Lenny's Twitter account. 28 October 2019. (Archived from the original on 19 November 2019.) Mod Lenny: ""Points" get calculated based on the damage you dealt to Zalcano's health plus two times the damage you dealt to her armour. Given those numbers, you'd have 550 points of a total possible 1000, and would have a 1/2175 roll at the pet, for example."
- Jagex. Mod Ed's Twitter account. 11 May 2020. (Archived from the original on 11 May 2020.) Mod Ed: "Between 1/750 and 1/1500 depending on contribution."
|God Wars Dungeon|