|Released||21 June 2006 (Update)|
|Quest||Death to the Dorgeshuun,|
Another Slice of H.A.M.
|Examine||An eager cave goblin on her first trip to the surface.|
Zanik is a cave goblin who is called up to explore the surface during the Death to the Dorgeshuun quest. Being the first of her kind to view the surface above, she's a curious and eager sort. Her preferred weapon is the Dorgeshuun crossbow.
Zanik is tasked to be the first cave goblin to visit Lumbridge as well as defend the Dorgeshuun city from a H.A.M. plot. She nearly loses her life while infiltrating the H.A.M. Hideout, but the player later revives her with the Tears of Guthix. After you finish the quest, she can be found in the underground goblin city, Dorgesh-Kaan.
In Another Slice of H.A.M., Zanik accompanies the player again. She meets the tribe of Goblin Village and is later captured by Sigmund, tied to a railway track. She is nearly run over, but the player saves her in time.
Zanik receiving her mark from the Big High War God.
Zanik purchasing 'exotic surface goods.'
Overhearing the HAM deacon and his following.
The Tears of Guthix revive Zanik.
Appearance until 20 March 2007
H.A.M. appearance until
20 March 2007
- The word Zanik has various meanings in different languages.
- In Dutch her name means nag (with the infinitive being zaniken).
- In Polish it means atrophy and/or disappearance.
- In Czech it means death, destruction and/or extinction. Arguably more fitting translations that the former, although it is not clear if this was intended by Mod John A.
- Mod John A stated in a Q&A on 23 July 2010 what the inspiration behind Zanik was:
- "One was the character Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica (the new version, where Starbuck is a girl)."
- "Another is the song 'Us' by Regina Spektor--that's always how I've imagined Zanik's voice to sound, even though obviously you never hear it in-game."
- "There are lots and lots of other things that inspired the character, though, and a lot of the creative process is subconscious so I don't even know myself."
- If you talk to the cook while you are taking Zanik on tour of Lumbridge he will say it's Duke's birthday, like on the start of Cook's assistant quest.
- Zanik has her own theme song, but it is unlisted in Old School RuneScape. It was extended from around 1 minute long to almost 3 minutes long and made into a listed song in the main game on November 12, 2007.
- Both quests that she stars in lists her Combat level as 41.