Zeah is a large continent accessible only to members that is found west of the mainland. First reached by speaking to Veos in the northernmost pier of Port Sarim, it is comprised of the Kingdom of Great Kourend, the Kebos Lowlands and the Kingdom of Varlamore. However, only the first two are currently accessible to players.
Although the name Zeah has mostly fallen out of usage within the game, being removed from the world map with the release of Tale of the Righteous and then from dialogue with various NPCs (such as Veos and Roy jr.) with the release of the Kebos Lowlands, it is still used by Jagex Moderators and players in game to refer to the continent as a whole. However, one reference remains in the examine text of a man found in the Catacombs of Kourend.
Great Kourend[edit | edit source]
Great Kourend is a kingdom within Zeah. It was formed over 1,500 years ago by King Rada I, who united the five Houses into one kingdom. Kourend is currently ruled by the Kourend Council.
Cities in Great Kourend[edit | edit source]
Great Kourend is split into five cities (sometimes referred to as Houses), with each in charge of a specific aspect of running the kingdom.
- Arceuus- Magic, research, and academia
- Hosidius- Agriculture and food production
- Lovakengj- Mining, smithing, and engineering
- Port Piscarilius- Fishing and ports
- Shayzien- Military and police
Catacombs of Kourend[edit | edit source]
Beneath Great Kourend lies the Catacombs of Kourend, a massive cave system full of slayer monsters, demons, dragons and undead. It can be accessed by investigating the statue of King Rada I in the Kourend Castle courtyard.
Kebos Lowlands[edit | edit source]
The Kebos Lowlands is a region found west of Great Kourend. It is primarily inhabited by lizardmen in the areas directly surrounding Mount Quidamortem. To the north of Mount Quidamortem, the soil found within the area is extremely fertile, attracting farmers of Hosidius. Here, the Farming Guild can be found, while further north lies Mount Karuulm, where the Tasakaal and Kahlith reside. In addition, Lake Molch is located within the area.
Varlamore[edit | edit source]
Varlamore is a currently inaccessible kingdom found south of the Kebos Lowlands. Founded by refugees fleeing from Great Kourend during the Age of Strife 1,030 years ago, there are four known areas within the kingdom:
Development history[edit | edit source]
Concept[edit | edit source]
The concept of a brand new continent was first pitched by Mod Reach on 26 April 2014 in a Reddit post on the subreddit /r/2007scape, where he laid out his plans for a new land mass that expanded the existing world map by 50% with an "uber quest". After two months, a Developer's Blog was released on 30 June 2014, pitching three new areas in the continent: Port Roberts, a large floating platform town, Civitas illa fortis, a large Roman-themed town and the Colosseum, a large arena akin to RuneScape's now-removed Duel Arena Tournament.
Polling[edit | edit source]
The blog included the existing concepts from the Continent Expansion blog, with three new areas:
- Great Kourend - A kingdom embroiled in anarchy where five families endlessly fight for power over the kingdom after the death of the last king.
- Keruulm - an ancient city found in a dormant volcano. To enter the remains of the volcano and access the city, high Strength and Agility levels were required. Here, players would find the Tasakaal, an incredibly strong and ancient race who were born and bred guardians.
- Paradigm of Exodus - a large dungeon found in and around an active volcano, allowing 5 to 30 players to take on powerful monsters and solving puzzles in a randomly generated layout, with a boss at the end of the raid.
An early concept of the Tasakaal race
Zeah was then put on a poll a week later in the Old School New Continent, Achievement Diaries and Poll poll, having received 90.4% of the yes votes.
Release schedule[edit | edit source]
The continent was slated to be released in summer 2015, but due to the restructuring of the Old School team and focus on other content throughout the year, Zeah was planned to be released in three phases:
- Phase 1, the city Great Kourend, was scheduled to be released on January 2016. This was released on 7 January 2016.
- Port Roberts was scrapped, with Port Piscarilius resembling some of its original concepts.
- Phase 2, the Paradigm of Exodus, was scheduled to be released on June 2016. This was later released on 5 January 2017 as the Chambers of Xeric.
- Phase 3, the Colosseum, was scheduled to be released on January 2017. This was later released on 4 August 2016 as Last Man Standing. The city in which the Colosseum was located in, Civitas illa Fortis, is now canonically the capital of the unreleased kingdom of Varlamore.
- Keruulm and the Tasakaal were later planned to be part of a Fight Caves expansion in February 2016, but was delayed until the next year, where it was renamed to Brimstone and the expansion named The Inferno. This was changed so that the Inferno took place in the TzHaar City of Mor Ul Rek.