The following is a list of updates and events that happened in RuneScape in 1999.
- DeviousMUD (also known as MUD client), an early version of RuneScape, is completely rewritten by Andrew Gower and his brothers. Together they would be known as Jagex, standing for JAva Gaming EXperts.
- "Jagex" is first used as a trading name.
- RuneScape begins development.
March[edit | edit source]
- 28th - More bugs were fixed.
- 25th - Wood/forest to the left of the starting zone had been designed.
- 22nd - Identikit system was finished. Player's appearance and human NPCs could then be customised.
- 19th - Player 'Identikit' system was being updated.
- 18th - Auto bug reporting system for client was finished.
- 18th - Game was debugged - 11 (fairly minor) bugs were fixed.
- 17th - Quest compiler was finished, but did not support many commands.
- 16th - Quest compiler was at its starting stages.
- 16th - Player-2-player conversation system was improved.
- 15th - Important background scenery can now be named, and manipulated by players.
- 15th - Player-2-npc conversation system was completed.
- 14th - Work on conversation system was continued.
- 13th - Work on a player-2-npc multiple choice style conversation system began.
- 12th - Some duplicate login bugs, and various other bugs were fixed.
Old School RuneScape timeline