|Released||7 September 2017 (Update)|
|Examine||A simple device for catching birds - needs to be filled with seeds.|
A birdhouse is used during bird house trapping on Fossil island. A birdhouse is created by placing a regular bird house item on a bird house space, which requires level 5 Hunter. The birdhouse can be filled with 10 low level hop seeds or herb seeds, or 5 high level herb seeds. When filled with seeds, the birdhouse will passively fill with birds. After about 50 minutes, the birdhouse will be full and can be collected for bird nests, raw bird meat, and feathers, as well as the clockwork used when crafting the item. Collecting the birdhouse awards 280 Hunter experience.
Hunter info[edit | edit source]
|Hunter XP||280 xp|
Loot[edit | edit source]
Birdhouses will also give varying numbers of bird nests, dependent on the tier of birdhouse and Hunter level. Each birdhouse will give at most 1 seed nest, followed by 10 chances to get nests off the nest table. The nest table drops regular empty nests, ring nests, egg nests, and rarely also clue nests.
In addition, wearing a strung rabbit foot will replace about 5% of the empty nest drops with ring nests or egg nests. This is different from the bird nest mechanic while Woodcutting, which reduces the number of seed nests.
The seeds used do not affect amount of nests received. Disassembling a birdhouse does not have a Hunter level requirement, meaning boosts only need to be used when placing birdhouses and not when disassembling them.
Using regular birdhouses, the expected number of bird nests per run is 2.1408 at level 5 and 7.1408 at level 99.
Guaranteed drops[edit | edit source]
|Raw bird meat||10[d 1]||Always||350||100|
|Feather||30; 40; 50; 60||Always||90–180||30–60|
- Always dropped to the ground, even if there is space in the inventory.
Seed nest[edit | edit source]
At most one seed nest is given per birdhouse. Having a higher Hunter level will make it more likely to obtain a seed nest.
|Bird nest (seeds)||1||Varies[d 1]||Not sold||271|
- The rate depends on Hunter level.
Other nests[edit | edit source]
The nest table will be rolled 10 times. The chance of a successful roll is based on Hunter level, with more nests provided with a higher Hunter level. The rate is constant at levels below 50.
Pre-roll clue nests[edit | edit source]
After a successful roll for the other nest table, an additional series of rolls is performed for clue nests. It is possible to obtain multiple clues from the same birdhouse, but once at least one clue has been awarded, further rolls do not attempt to give clues. Completing tiers of Combat Achievements will increase the rate of receiving easy, medium, hard, and elite clue nests. Clues are not awarded if the player already has a clue of that level.
The following rarities assume the nest roll shown above was successful, and are attempted once on each roll until a clue has been given (up to 10 attempts).
|Clue nest (elite)||1||~1/1,500[d 1][d 2]||Not sold||272|
|Clue nest (hard)||1||~2/1,500[d 1][d 3]||Not sold||271|
|Clue nest (medium)||1||~3/1,500[d 1][d 4]||Not sold||271|
|Clue nest (easy)||1||~4/1,500[d 1][d 5]||Not sold||270|
|Clue nest (beginner)||1||~30/1,500[d 1]||Not sold||270|
- Not dropped if the player already has a clue of this level.
- The rate is improved after completing the Elite Combat Achievements.
- The rate is improved after completing the Hard Combat Achievements.
- The rate is improved after completing the Medium Combat Achievements.
- The rate is improved after completing the Easy Combat Achievements.
Ring and egg nests[edit | edit source]
If no clue is given then a ring, egg, or empty nest will be awarded. Wearing a strung rabbit foot will replace some empty nest drops with ring and egg nests.
|Bird nest (ring)||1||32/100; 32/95[d 1]||Not sold||271|
|Bird nest (red egg)||1||1/100; 1/95[d 1]||Not sold||271|
|Bird nest (green egg)||1||1/100; 1/95[d 1]||Not sold||271|
|Bird nest (blue egg)||1||1/100; 1/95[d 1]||Not sold||271|
|Bird nest (empty)||1||65/100; 60/95[d 2]||Not sold||271|
References[edit | edit source]
- The Old School Team. "Bird Nest Balancing and PvP Changes". 22 November 2018. (Archived from the original.) Old School RuneScape News.
- The Old School Team. "Collection Log Improvements and The Last of Poll 74". 7 April 2021. (Archived from the original.) Old School RuneScape News.
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 17 July 2018. (Archived from the original on 27 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "[Do the seeds you place in birdhouses have an effect on the amount of nests you get?] No."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 5 June 2019. (Archived from the original on 10 June 2021.) Mod Ash: "You get 1 roll for a seed nest, with a chance of 0% at level 1 and 78.5% at level 99. Then you get 10 rolls for more nests. Their chances at level 99 are 10.0%, 12.5%, 12.8%, 13.0%, 14.0%, 15.0%, 16.0%, 17.0% and 17.5% for the wood tiers. These scale down by half at level 50."