|Released||16 June 2021 (Update)|
|Quest||A Kingdom Divided|
|Examine||The last member of Kourend's royal family.|
|Object ID||41864, 41865|
Crown Princess Rose Kharedst was the daughter of King Kharedst IV. She was the crown princess and heiress to the throne of Great Kourend, but was declared unfit to rule by the Kourend Council. Until the events of A Kingdom Divided, her whereabouts were unknown.
History[edit | edit source]
Early life[edit | edit source]
Approximately 31 years ago, King Kharedst IV's wife died giving birth to Rose, his only daughter. Some time during her childhood, Rose's father gave her a memoir for her to record their outings, so that he can reminisce the times they've spent together. During these outings, they would occasionally dress down to experience the life of the people of Great Kourend. Rose and her father also often wrote riddles for each other as well.
Death of her father[edit | edit source]
The day before Rose's 11th birthday, she and her father made their monthly trip to Lovakengj, where he purchased an ornate flask and an old rose-shaped locket from an old dwarf tinker. The locket was given to Rose as a present, whilst he purchased the flask for himself. Unbeknownst to the King, the flask he purchased was corrupted with dark magic, and soon his mind became corrupted.
Soon after, a mysterious mage reached out to David Andrews, one of the King's advisors. An expert on old curses, the mage claimed that the King's curse had deteriorated his mind beyond saving, and gave a poison for David to kill him. Accepting that the King could not be saved, the King's advisors proceeded to kill him with the poison. As Rose was too young to take the throne at the time of his death, the King's advisors formed the Kourend Council in order to rule the kingdom until Rose was ready to do so.
Disappearance[edit | edit source]
Rose soon discovered what the Council had done to her father. Unable to risk her telling the truth, the Council sought out the mage, who gave them a potion to stop her from revealing the truth. While the potion did work on Rose, it was in actuality a poison made to destroy her mind and induce her into a comatose state.
To cover up Rose's condition, the Council declared that Rose became insane after the death of her father, and considered her unfit for rule. She was then moved away to a small shack in the Kebos Lowlands. With no suitable heir for Great Kourend, the Council was made permanent. During this time, Rose was being watched over by Councillor Orson, who burdened with guilt, looked after her unconscious body and received potions from the mage to treat her condition.
Discovery[edit | edit source]
Twenty years later, an adventurer's investigation leads them to the small shack at the base of Mount Karuulm. Here, a hidden entrance to the basement results in the discovery of Rose and Councillor Liam Orson, who had been taking care of her since she entered into a coma. Having been discovered, he confesses to the adventurer and Lydia Fullore, commander of the Royal Guard, that the Council conspired to kill King Kharedst IV, but that they did so out of necessity.
After moving Liam to Xeric's Lookout, the adventurer and Lydia decide to end Rose's life; though someone in Arceuus could continue brewing the potions for Rose's condition, she eventually came to the conclusion that Rose had died long ago and ended her suffering, and a funeral for her was held outside the shack.
With Rose's death, the Kourend royal family's lineage had come to an end. In honour of her sacrifice, the document to disband the Kourend Council and return Great Kourend to royal rule was named Rose's Accord, which declared the Hosidius family to be the Kourend's new royal family.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Her appearance resembles Princess Anna from Disney's Frozen, specifically in her Coronation Day dress.
References[edit | edit source]
- Farmer Gricoller, Old School RuneScape. "[King Kharedst] married late and his wife... Unfortunately didn't survive bringing Rose into this world."
- Kharedst's memoirs, Old School RuneScape. "If it pleases you, my dear child, would you record our future outings? When I'm old and my mind is fading I'd like to reminisce all the times we've spent together around this fine Kingdom of mine. Heed the lessons of our time together and reflect, for someday you will be Queen over this great land."
- Kharedst's memoirs, written by Rose, Old School RuneScape. "Being royalty, it's good practise to dress down and be somewhat anonymous as Father believes it's a good lesson in understanding the residents, for both the good traits and the bad."
- Martin Holt, Old School RuneScape. "Apparently Rose and her father would often make riddles for each other. I'm guessing she was quite fond of them."
- Kharedst's memoirs, written by Rose, Old School RuneScape. "At this morning's breakfast he revealed to me what he'd been hiding in the form of a birthday present. It's beautiful! A locket of pale gold shaped like a rose that contains a wonderful painting of mother opposite a dark purple crystal."
- Kharedst's memoirs, written by Rose, Old School RuneScape. "He assured me [the locket is] certainly at least several centuries old in between quick sips from a peculiar ornate flask with an 'X' imprinted on the side. I suppose he picked that up yesterday from the tinker as well."
- Old dwarf, Old School RuneScape. "Are you saying the man I sold those trinkets to was the king?! Those were dark objects, corrupted with powerful magic. Dark magic."
- Councillor Orson, Old School RuneScape. "The flask was cursed. Some dark magic. He stopped being himself. Started saying things. Things he would do to people. To the citizens!"
- Councillor Orson, Old School RuneScape. "There was an Arceuus mage. He was an expert in curses, and he realised what was happening. He gave us the poison for the King."
- Councillor Orson, Old School RuneScape. "By then, it was already too late. The King had deteriorated too much. There was only one solution."
- Councillor Andrews, Old School RuneScape. "Kourend's last King, Kharedst IV, had only one child when he died. She was too young to take the throne, so the Kourend Council was formed to look after things until she came of age."
- Councillor Orson, Old School RuneScape. "We didn't want to kill her. She didn't deserve that. The mage gave us a potion. He said it would stop her revealing the truth."
- Commander Fullore, Old School RuneScape. "I did some research while you were gone. [Councillor Orson] wasn't lying. The poison they gave [Rose] irreversibly destroyed her mind. There is no cure."
- Councillor Andrews, Old School RuneScape. "Alas, she was very close to her father and his sudden death drove her to insanity."
- Commander Fullore, Old School RuneScape. "After what happened, public life was no place for her. The Council arranged for her to move away so she could escape all of that."
- Councillor Andrews, Old School RuneScape. "With no suitable ruler, the Kourend Council was made permanent."
- Commander Fullore, Old School RuneScape. "The poison they gave her irreversibly destroyed her mind. There is no cure. Someone else could make the potions, but all they do is prolong her suffering. This is no life for anyone. The truth is, Rose died long ago. All that's left now is an empty shell."
- Lord Kandur Hosidius, Old School RuneScape. "In honour of her sacrifice, I name this declaration Rose's Accord. With it, the Kingdom of Great Kourend will no longer be a kingdom divided."
- Martin Holt, Old School RuneScape. "When the people voted on Rose's Accord, they voted for the Hosidius family to become the new royal family."