Clue geodes are rare rocks that can be found while mining in place of receiving an ore. Searching them will give players a clue scroll of the same difficulty as the geode given. Like clue scrolls, players can only have one of each difficulty of clue geode in their possession. If a player possesses a clue scroll of the same difficulty as the clue geode, they will be unable to search the geode until the clue scroll is no longer in their possession.
There are five types of clue geodes:
Rates[edit | edit source]
Like skilling pets, the rate of obtaining clue geodes are dependent on the player's mining level and the type of rock the player is mining. A ring of wealth (i) will double the rate of clue geodes for mining rocks in the Wilderness. 
The chance of obtaining a clue geode of any difficulty is 1 in , where is the base chance and is the player's mining level. For example, a player mining a runite rock at level 99 mining will have a 1 in 212 chance of obtaining a clue geode, with decimal values floored.
The table below displays the base chances of obtaining a clue geode.
|Rock||Base chance||Rate range (approx)||Rock||Base chance||Rate range (approx)|
|Copper, tin, clay, blurite,
ash pile, iron, limestone,
silver, sandstone, granite
|741,600||1/7343 - 1/3727||Volcanic sulphur||710,000||1/5000 - 1/3568|
|Coal, gold||296,640||1/2282 - 1/1491||Motherlode Mine[a 1]||247,200||1/1902 - 1/1242|
|Lovakite||245,562||1/1488 - 1/1234||Gem||211,886||1/1513 - 1/1065|
|Mithril||148,320||1/957 - 1/745||Blast mine||123,600||1/864 - 1/621|
|Volcanic Mine||60,000||1/400 - 1/302||Adamantite||59,328||1/349 - 1/298|
|Amethyst||46,350||1/241 - 1/233||Runite||42,377||1/229 - 1/213|
- Anecdotal evidence suggests clue geodes are unavailable from Motherlode Mine; these values were obtained from the game code.
Once a player successfully rolls for a clue geode, a separate table is rolled to determine the type of geode received. A player can increase the rate of a specific clue to be dropped; having a clue scroll of a higher tier will increase the chance of receiving a lower tier clue geode.
For example, if a player already possesses an elite clue and a hard clue, and rolls an elite clue geode, they will receive a medium clue geode instead. This process will only give substitute clue geodes of a tier lower than the one originally rolled for.
The table below displays the chances of obtaining a specific clue geode. If a player fails to roll for any clue geode apart from beginner, there is then a final 1/1,000 chance to roll for a beginner clue geode.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 12 July 2016. (Archived from the original on 6 October 2020.) Mod Ash: "Yes."
- Jagex. Mod Tide's Twitter account. 24 May 2019. (Archived from the original on 24 May 2019.) Mod Tide: "I know its been a while since the clue expansion but here is the information on clue scroll drop rates and loot chances! If anything changes I will keep you posted."
- From minimum level to mine the rock to 99
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 25 August 2018. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "If you'd got an elite nest, hard nest and medium nest in your bank, and you successfully rolled for another elite one, it'd turn itself into the next tier that you'd not already got, i.e. it'd drop as an easy nest. That's kinda forcing it to be a certain type."
- Jagex. Mod Tide's Twitter account. 3 February 2020. (Archived from the original on 4 February 2020.) Mod Tide: "...if you fail to get any clue [vessel] apart from beginner, you then have a 1 in 1000 roll to get a beginner [clue vessel]."