Fossil Island fossil
Fossils are items on Fossil Island that are used to build displays on the bottom floor of the Varrock Museum (below the natural history floor). Completing a display requires a complete set of one type of fossil (i.e. small/medium/large/rare) and grants 2 kudos and an experience lamp based on the type of category of the fossils. They can be sold to the Fossil Collector in exchange for numulites, or used on the mycelium pool to create enriched bones which can be further processed to eventually gain some Prayer experience.
Fossil uses[edit | edit source]
In the Varrock Museum, there are 14 small displays, 12 medium displays, 5 large displays and 5 plant displays. You will need a set of each fossil to complete one display. In total, you will need 70 small fossils, 60 medium fossils, 25 large fossils and 25 plant fossils. Note that unidentified large fossils have a chance of becoming either large fossils or plant fossils.
- Small enriched bones are worth 500 prayer experience.
- Medium enriched bones are worth 1,000 prayer experience.
- Large enriched bones from large fossils are worth 1,500 prayer experience.
- Rare enriched bones are worth 2,500 prayer experience.
- Small fossils can be exchanged for 100 numulites.
- Medium and plant fossils can be exchanged for 200 numulites.
- Large fossils can be exchanged for 300 numulites.
- Rare fossils can be exchanged for 500 numulites.
Obtaining fossils[edit | edit source]
Fossils may be obtained from Mairin's Market and from certain actions that roll the fossil drop table.
Every time you roll the fossil drop table, there is a chance you may receive either a fossil, numulite or nothing.
If you receive a fossil, the chance of you receiving each kind of fossil is as follows:
|Fossil type||Drop chance|
|Unidentified small fossil||50%|
|Unidentified medium fossil||25%|
|Unidentified large fossil||20%|
|Unidentified rare fossil||5%|
The fossil drop table is as follows:
|Actions dropping fossils and numulites|
|Herbiboar (per trail reveal with experience drop)
(About 2.56 rolls per Herbiboar)
|Volcanic mineGetting fragment from||5/175||2.9%||45/175||25.7%||125/175||71.4%|
|Underwater thieving (per experience drop)||6/175||3.4%||54/175||30.9%||115/175||65.7%|
|Bowl of fish||2/175||1.1%||18/175||10.3%||155/175||88.6%|
|Sulliusceps (per experience drop)||5/175||2.9%||45/175||25.7%||125/175||71.4%|
|Drift net (per fish)||3/175||1.7%||27/175||15.4%||145/175||82.9%|
|Digging in camp soil||1/175||0.6%||9/175||5.1%||165/175||94.3%|
Storing fossils[edit | edit source]
Note: you can add/remove clean or uncleaned fossils to any of the storage crates around Fossil Island as the contents of the storage crates are synchronized. This means you can clean fossils in the museum camp, store them in the storage crate, then collect the cleaned fossils from the storage crate in the basement of the Varrock Museum when you are ready to add to exhibits, thus avoiding having to take multiple inventories back and forth between the museum camp and museum.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
This guide makes the assumption that an unidentified large fossil will turn into a large fossil 50% of the time, and a plant fossil 50% of the time.
In order to complete the Varrock Museum, you will need approximately 55 unidentified large fossils (95% confidence interval 50-65) in order to get 25 plant fossils and 25 identified large fossils, 60 unidentified medium fossils and 70 small fossils. The rate-limiting step is the unidentified large fossil.
|Large fossil gathering|
|Method||Actions/hour||Drop rate||/hour||Time for 55|
|Herbiboar||130||7/875 (0.8%)||1||52.9 hours|
|Volcanic mine||235||5/875 (0.6%)||1.3||41 hours|
|Underwater thieving||200-240||6/875 (0.7%)
|Bowl of fish||5||2/875 (0.2%)||Buy fossils from Mairin's Market instead of this|
|Tar Monster||Slow||5/875 (0.6%)||Long|
|Hoop Snake||Slow||3/875 (0.3%)||Long|
|Deranged archaeologist||≈30||12/875 (1.4%)||0.4||133.7 hours|
|Ammonite Crab||162 (Strength72)||3/875 (0.3%)||0.6||99 hours|
|Ancient Zygomite||137 (114 melee combat)||7/875 (0.8%)||1.1||50.2 hours|
|Lobstrosity||200||5/875 (0.6%)||1.1||48.1 hours|
|Lesser Wyvern||≈35||10/875 (1.1%)||0.4||137.5 hours|
|Ancient Wyvern||<≈35||12/875 (1.4%)||0.5||114.6 hours|
|Drift net||285||3/875 (0.3%)||1||56.3 hours|
|Camp soil*||1000-3000||1/875 (0.1%)||1.1-3.4||16-48.1 hours|
*Extremely click-intensive - 3000 is the theoretical maximum with mousekeys - expect slower rates
Thieving and Mairin's Market[edit | edit source]
If you are using Mairin's Market, you should save your points and then evaluate the specific fossils you need to achieve your total of 25 plant fossils, 25 large identified fossils and 60 medium fossils.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Maz's Twitter account. 9 Oct 2017. (Archived from the original on 9 July 2019.) Mod Maz: "Fossil probabilities!"
- MBBrabus. "LOOT FROM 9790 HERBIBOAR HARVESTS (WITH XP TABLES)." 10 May 2018. Reddit Forums.
- Joon The King. "Loot from 50 Bowls of fish (Fossil island agility arena) - OSRS." YouTube Video. 25 Sep 2017.
- Money making guide/Killing the Crazy archaeologist
- FlippingOldschool. "Destroying the New Ammonite Crabs For Massive Melee EXP - Road to 1 Bil From Nothing - Ep 33 OSRS." (6:12) , YouTube Video. 15 Sep 2017.
- DeWah. "OSRS - Loot from 250 Lobstrosity kills." YouTube Video. 9 Sep 2017.
- Money making guide/Killing skeletal wyverns
- Stokez. "Underwater Fishing Guide OSRS MADE EASY Fossil Island." YouTube Video. 10 Sep 2017.
|Fossil Island Volcano|
|House on the Hill|