Azzanadra is a powerful Zarosian Mahjarrat and high priest of Zaros. After Zaros was betrayed and banished by Zamorak, Azzanadra was part of the faction that remained loyal to Zaros. During the God Wars, Saradominist and Zamorakian forces worked together in order to trap the nearly invincible Azzanadra in the Jaldraocht Pyramid. During the Desert Treasure quest, the player meets Azzanadra and frees him from his imprisonment and he teaches them how to use Ancient Magicks as a reward for their service.
- Azzanadra was first mentioned by a Guardian of Armadyl in the Temple of Ikov quest, released in 2002, more than three years before Desert Treasure was released.
- Azzanadra's chathead (image) is considerably larger than it appears in the chatbox.
- Azzanadra's unusual model compared to other Mahjarrat is, according to Mod James, the result of several assets being salvaged from an unrelated project a Jagex intern was working on before being dismissed from the company. 
- ↑ Eblis, "Desert Treasure", Old School RuneScape. "The spiteful Saradomin and pathetic Zamorak warred with each other, but the hatred they had for each other was as nothing to the hatred they held towards us! With each battle they waged, we lost more and more land, unable to fight on all fronts, and were pushed further and further South into this gods-forsaken desert. Our greatest hero, Azzanadra, was finally trapped in a strange stone structure to the South of here, and bound within by terrible powers..."
- ↑ Guardian of Armadyl, "Temple of Ikov", Old School RuneScape. "Mahjarrat such as Lucien and Azzanadra would become very powerful if they came into possession of the Staff of Armadyl"
- ↑ MrNyarlathotep. [Reminiscing On] Runescape, 2003-2007. NeoGAF. 20 June 2015. (Archived from the original on 2017-08-11.)*