Necromancy is a branch of Magic involving communing and resurrecting the dead. Necromancy is considered a very dark and abhorred art and practising it is considered a dangerous activity as numerous individuals have turned insane while attempting to raise the dead. Necromancers are usually followers of Zamorak, as the practice of necromancy is considered "evil" by most societies; however, a handful of non-Zamorakian necromancers have been accepted within society at various times.
The animation of undead such as skeletons and zombies are the usual fare for necromancers, and have often been used as disposable troops, as seen during the God Wars. Although on the surface appearing similar to Summoning, necromancy and summoning has nothing to do with each other. Necromancers are apparently capable of bringing themselves back from the dead.
The people of Arceuus have practiced necromancy for generations utilizing the powers of the Dark Altar to reanimate creatures. Players themselves can practise the Arceuus way of necromancy through the Arceuus Spellbook, which requires 60% Favour with Arceuus in Great Kourend. This type of necromancy does not seem to have any negative consequences and the player only uses it on creatures whose spirits are still trapped in order to lay them properly to rest.
Known necromancers[edit | edit source]
Humans[edit | edit source]
- Invrigar the Necromancer - A necromancer residing in the Necromancer Tower near East Ardougne.
- Irwin Feaselbaum - The assistant of Invrigar.
- Kardia - A witch residing in the Underground Pass responsible for the resurrection of Kinshra officer Lord Iban.
- Malignius Mortifer - A wandering necromancer practising his art north of Port Sarim along with his students. Occasionally resurrects undead and sometimes by accident fungi.
- Melzar the Mad - One of the few survivors of Crandor residing in the basement of Melzar's Maze, he was driven mad by the side effects of his necromancy.
- Necromancer - An unnamed necromancer found in the Necromancer Tower.
- Neilan Redmark - An inexperienced necromancer who travelled to Great Kourend, reanimated the Headless Beast which ended up killing him.
- Rabid Jack - The most feared pirate of the Eastern Sea, who has an expanding crew of zombie pirates.
- Sithik Ints - A wizard and member of H.A.M., responsible for the desecration of Jiggig and the resurrection of the Skogres and Zogres found there.
- Tarn Razorlor - A powerful and mad necromancer, found in the Lair of Tarn Razorlor deep within the Abandoned Mine.
- Wizard Frumscone - A wizard of the Wizards' Guild, who has resurrected zombies for combat practice.
- Wizard Grayzag - A supposed necromancer, who now summons demons or more specifically imps.
- Xeric - A malevolent warlock and former king of Great Kourend, greatly utilizing the Dark Altar for his own purposes.
Mahjarrat[edit | edit source]
- Lucien - A Zamorakian Mahjarrat responsible for the infamous siege on Varrock in 154 of the Fifth Age leading a horde of undead, that was surprisingly quickly defeated.
- Sliske - A devious Zarosian Mahjarrat responsible for the empowering, death and later resurrection of the Barrows Brothers.
- Zamorak - The God of Chaos, who played a major role in Gielinor's history, most notably the God Wars.
- Zemouregal - The infamous villain of Varrock, who tried to lay siege on the city during the Fourth Age with his undead legions. He was stopped by the hero Arrav, who Zemouregal resurrected as his own minion after his death.
Undeads[edit | edit source]
- Eve - A long dead witch, who brings herself and some of her dead friends back to the world of the living for one night of partying every year.
- Necrovarus - An undead priest from the Eastern Lands, who gave protection to the people of Port Phasmatys, but trapped their spirits within the city forever.
- Rashiliyia - An ancient Karamjan queen, sending hordes of Undead ones on Shilo Village.
- Undead druids - Undead followers of the god Ranul roaming the Forthos Dungeon.
- Vet'ion - A skeletal Zamorakian warrior wandering the Wilderness, who summons skeletal hellhounds to aid him.
Others[edit | edit source]
- Arceuus - The people of Arceuus have an extensive knowledge and practice of necromancy utilizing the power of the Dark Altar.
- Skotizo - A former demon general of Zamorak, who uses power from the Dark Altar and summons Dark ankous.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In RuneScape Classic, players had the ability to choose their class. One of the choices was to become a Necromancer, which gave players a higher starting level in Necromancy (the original Magic). Later when the class system was removed, all necromancers became Mages.
References[edit | edit source]
- Malignius Mortifer, Old School RuneScape. "The obscure magical art of necromancy has nothing to do with Summoning."