|Released||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|Also called||Player, Adventurer, Fremennik name, Vampyric name, Goblin name|
|Options||Walk here, Follow, Trade with|
The Player, also known as the Adventurer, is the avatar of someone playing RuneScape. The player is a human, may be either gender, and may be freely customised. Their adventuring career begins in the year 169 of the Fifth Age on Tutorial Island, and thereafter involves a number of quests until they become a well-known hero.
History[edit | edit source]
Early history[edit | edit source]
According to My Life, the adventurer was born in the Fifth Age to simple beginnings, with very little money to their name and nothing but a dream of adventure. According to Sir Renitee at the White Knights' Castle in Falador, the family of the player hails from either Misthalin, Kandarin, or Asgarnia; their family has no known noble blood, and thus no inherited heraldry, though they are permitted by Sir Renitee to use the symbol of their family's place of origin as their family crest. The adventurer's family is rarely mentioned, though a few references have been made to a mother, a brother, a grandmother, and an aunt.
Adventures[edit | edit source]
I've never really been one for looking backwards. I prefer to look ahead.
The adventurer then left the island and began training their skills and performing a number of quests for people. Starting out with simple tasks such as shearing sheep and helping a cook bake a cake, the player also performed impressive feats early on, such as slaying the demon Delrith and assisting in rediscovering the art of Runecrafting. As their adventures continued, their achievements continued to amass and become ever more gallant, such as slaying the dragon, Elvarg, stopping a demented, murderous mage, brokering peace between numerous Fremennik tribes (as well as slaying both the Ice Troll King and the Jormungand), defeating a number of vampyres in direct combat, leading an uprising in Ardougne, stopping gnomish invasions of human territories, restoring the city of Prifddinas, and preventing the Dragonkin from destroying humanity.
The adventurer became a member of a number of organisations, including the White Knights and Temple Knights, the Fremennik, the Myreque, and the Champions', Heroes', Legends' and Myths' Guild. After resolving a dispute between two warring islands, they also succeeded King Vargas and became the regent of the island of Miscellania, becoming engaged to either Prince Brand or Princess Astrid in the process.
The player has also had a number of mentors in their adventuring career, most notably the Wise Old Man.
Throughout their travels, the adventurer encountered a number of beings known as the Mahjarrat, long-lived beings who undergo a ritual every 500 years involving a sacrifice of one of their number in order to rejuvenate the rest. Continually meddling in Mahjarrat affairs, the adventurer engaged in conflicts with the Zamorakians Enakhra, General Khazard, (possibly) Hazeel, and Lucien, but assisted a handful of Mahjarrat loyal to the mysterious god Zaros, including Akthanakos and Azzanadra.
The player has also had encounters with multiple gods and godlike beings, from Amascut and Icthlarin to fragments of Seren, powerful spirits, such as the water spirits of Elidinis and Fossegrimen, various powerful servants of gods, such as Juna and multiple surviving God Wars leaders, and innumerable ancient creatures and fearsome monsters. It would appear that the player is canonically a follower of Guthix based on some in-game dialogue.[confirmation needed]
Overall, the player's actions vary in their scope and gravity, as their actions may range from helping a misguided troll learn to farm or helping a boy retrieve his ball to saving the world several times over, but the player is generally altruistic and determined in accomplishing their goals.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Examining a blue butterfly reveals that the Player loves butterflies.
- Examining various pianos around the world reveals that the player character was forced to play the piano as a child, though they also claim that they never learned to play.
- Following Old School RuneScape's launch on Steam, the default appearance of the player character has been referred to as "RuneScape guy" in Steam merchandise.
- As the player character must be female to defeat Sir Leye in order to complete Recruitment Drive, it is canon that the player character is either female or used the services of the Make-over mage to temporarily become female at some point.
- The player character's favourite number is 8.
- The player character does not like cabbage.
- Examining a deadly red spider suggests that the Player is somewhat aware of the concept of genetics and that it is possible for genes to be altered.
- In a Postbag from the Hedge, the player character is referred to as Fleshy Child.
- From the head that shows in the chatbox during dialogues, we can see that the player character has blue eyes.
References[edit | edit source]
- Player, "Tower of Life", Old School RuneScape. "Oh well. My mum did always tell me that experience teaches fools."
- Player, "The Restless Ghost", Old School RuneScape. "My brother had exactly the same problem."
- Player, "Troll Romance", Old School RuneScape. "Has anyone ever told you that you are a useless troll? My grandmother has more guts than you and she doesn't even have her teeth anymore!"
- Penance Runner Statue, Barbarian Outpost "Examine", Old School RuneScape. "This reminds me of my aunt."
- Butterfly#Blue "Examine", Old School RuneScape. "I love butterflies."
- Piano, Draynor Manor etc. "Examine", Old School RuneScape. "I was always forced to play this as a child."
- Piano, Rimmington etc. "Examine", Old School RuneScape. "I never learnt to play."
- Grim Tales#/media/File:Music sheet interface.png
- Ratcatchers#/media/File:Ratcatchers Charm Music.png
- Player, "Transcript:Haunted wine bottle", Old School RuneScape. "Interesting, I've always liked eight myself."