Poison is a detriment that players and monsters suffer when they are attacked by a poisonous weapon. Many NPCs are able to inflict poison. Players can use poisonous weapons or the smoke set of spells from the Ancient Magicks to cause their target(s) to become poisoned. The maximum damage from this can range from 1 to over 20 depending on the type of poison.
When a player or monster is poisoned, a number appears with a green hitsplat () instead of a red or blue one, indicating the amount of damage the poison has dealt. The victim is then damaged by this poison once every 18 seconds unless it is cured or it wears off. Poison wears off over time, decreasing by a value of one after every 5 hits. Poison doesn't do damage (or wear off) when a player has an interface open. It will hit once immediately after the interface is closed, and continue damaging the player every 18 seconds after that (30 game ticks).
Monsters that can inflict poison may do so regardless of whether or not they inflict any damage, even if protection prayers are used. Player inflicted poison does need to deal damage to apply.
The list of poisons in terms of deadliness are as such:
- Weak thieving poison by opening some thieving chests: 1-2
- Smoke spells: 2, 4 (Rush/Burst and Blitz/Barrage respectively)
- Various weapon poisoning (see below section): 2-6
- Converted venom to poison by drinking any antipoison potion once: 6-20 (the same amount of damage the venom did)
- NPC poison: (varies) 6-20. The aggressive Tribesmen of Karamja, for example, have poison starting at 11.
List of monsters[edit | edit source]
Curing poison[edit | edit source]
Poison can be cured through antidotes in the form of anti-poison potions. Anti-poison potions come in various levels, providing progressively longer immunity to becoming poisoned in addition to curing it. Players who are poisoned can use one of the following remedies or simply left-click their Hitpoints orb on the minimap and their character will automatically use a remedy that they have. Just like how poison does not damage the player with an interface opened, the antipoison timer will not go down until the interface is closed.
|Anti-venom||12.0||2,103||First 18 seconds include immunity to venom|
|Anti-venom+||15.0||8,593||First 3 minutes include immunity to venom|
|Sanfew serum||6.0||48,558||15 minutes immunity to disease|
|Prayer book||N/A||N/A||Requires prayer points|
|Guthix rest||N/A||N/A||Does not cure, but reduces poison damage per hit by 1|
|Cure Me||N/A||N/A||Requires completion of Lunar Diplomacy|
|Serpentine helm||∞||N/A||Charged with Zulrah's scales. Provides full immunity to becoming poisoned or envenomed while worn, but does not cure preexisting poison or venom when equipped.|
Weapon poisoning (members only)[edit | edit source]
Members can inflict poison by using weapon poisons made through the Herblore skill on certain weapons. There are several types of weapon poisons, which deal progressively more damage. Only spears, hastae, daggers, arrows, bolts, darts, throwing knives, and javelins can be poisoned. The abyssal tentacle and Emerald bolts (e) are also capable of poisoning players. A weapon poison potion can only be used on five thrown objects before running out (e.g. 5 arrows or 5 darts). Poison can be removed from weapons with a cleaning cloth, obtained by using Karamja rum with silk or by purchasing it directly from Tamayu after completing Tai Bwo Wannai Trio.
|Name||Initial damage||Total damage|
|Karambwan paste (poison)||6||N/A||105||N/A|
|Emerald bolts (e)||N/A||5||N/A||75|
The total poison damage (Melee: DM and Ranged: DR) can be calculated by the sum of all numbers (n) up to the max hit (M), times the amount of hits per number (H=5).
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The poison's duration can be reset while the enemy is poisoned with the same chance as on an unpoisoned enemy.
- If you poisoned a monster while fighting it, you will not receive experience from the poison damage (you will receive full Slayer experience, however, even if the poison applied wasn't yours).
- Many monsters, such as wall beasts, turoths, waterfiends, and the God Wars Dungeon bosses, are immune to poison.
- Poison interrupts some actions, including most skilling actions (but not Woodcutting or Fishing) and the home and minigame teleports. Poison does not interrupt combat in any way.
- If a poisoned monster goes out of combat (no longer trying to attack) the effect of poison is immediately removed from the monster.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Monsters that appear for a temporary amount of time, such as zamorak wizards or quest monsters like the bandit champion are often immune to poison. This is likely because their programming uses their poison timer to calculate how long they should appear for.
- Poison and venom are mutually exclusive, but it is possible to be poisoned or venomed and have disease at the same time, splitting your health orb in two to signify both applied effects.