Ultimate Ironman Guide/Cooking
Cooking is one of the fastest skills to train, even on an ultimate ironman. Dedicated training methods like the Hosidius Mess and making jugs of wine can give more than 200,000 Cooking experience per hour, and passive training in tandem with Fishing can give solid amounts of experience as well. The skill itself is not particularly useful, as cooking food is often less convenient than simply buying food from a shop, though at high levels it can be handy for cooking noted raw sharks from Fishing minnows.
Fastest methods[edit | edit source]
Early training: Quests[edit | edit source]
While early Cooking training is not particularly slow, it can be sped up a bit by doing some early quests that reward Cooking experience.
- Cook's Assistant rewards 300 Cooking experience.
- Recipe for Disaster (Mountain Dwarf subquest) requires Fishing Contest, rewards 1,000 Cooking experience
- Recipe for Disaster (Goblin generals subquest) requires Goblin Diplomacy, rewards 1,000 Cooking experience
- Gertrude's Cat no requirements, rewards 1,525 Cooking experience
Levels 1–15: Cooking raw sardines[edit | edit source]
From level 1 to 15, buy raw sardines from any Fishing shop and cook them on a fire. Raw sardines can be bought from Gerrant's Fishy Business. in Port Sarim and Lovecraft's Tackle in Witchaven for 10 coins each.
Levels 15–30/65: Fly fishing[edit | edit source]
From level 15 onwards, one of the best ways to train Cooking is to catch trout and salmon and cook the caught fish on a nearby fire. Many fishing spots have nearby trees that can be cut down and used to make fires, and the fly fishing spots near the Barbarian Village have a permanent fire very close by.
For more information, see Ultimate Ironman Guide/Fishing.
Levels 20/65–99: Hosidius Mess[edit | edit source]
Making servery food at the Mess in Hosidius does not require any supplies or money, which makes it one of the best training methods at lower levels. Even though this method can be done starting at level 20, it is recommended to train Cooking through fly fishing to a higher level, as players burn a lot of food at lower levels. Servery pineapple pizzas become available at level 65 and they offer much faster experience than the meat pies or stews, so it may be worthwhile to wait until level 65.
Players must have at least 45% favour in Hosidius for this method. For the fastest experience, players will also need to have as much inventory space as possible. It is recommended to store the items at an Item Retrieval Service beforehand for more inventory space.
This method assumes the player uses humidify to speed up making pizzas, though it is not required.
1. Your inventory at the beginning of every stew will look as follows. This allows us to click the upcoming flour pots on the bowls of water we are about to fill:
2. Access the Servery cupboard, and Take-50 of the servery flour, and cast humidify to fill the bowls of water. Alternatively, fill the bowls using the kitchen sink.
4. Access the Servery cupboard, and Take-50 of the Servery tomato, and combine them with the bases.
5. Access the Servery cupboard, and Take-50 of the servery cheese. Before combining with the pizza base, run over to the stove. As you combine each base with the cheese, you will click on the stove to cook the single pizza in your inventory without triggering the dialogue about how many pizzas you wish to cook. Repeat this process of using the pizzas base on the cheese, then clicking the stove, and interrupting the cooking by combining another base and cheese.
6. Access the Servery cupboard, and Take-50 of the Servery pineapple. Use the knife on the pineapple, creating Servery pineapple chunks. Add these to the pizza to create Servery pineapple pizza. Then, access the Utensil cupboard and Take-50 of the bowl, swapping items to maintain this inventory layout.
7. After turning the pizzas in, you repeat this process once again, and then hop to a different world, as turning in consecutive pizzas lowers the experience of future pizzas for a short period.
With good focus, players can gain up to 200,000 experience per hour when making servery pineapple pizzas. This is one of the fastest available training methods for Ultimate Ironman players. When making servery meat pies at level 20, it is possible to gain around 48,000-55,000 Cooking experience per hour; with servery stews, players can expect to gain around 70,000–80,000 Cooking experience per hour.
Levels 30–99: Buying and cooking karambwan[edit | edit source]
Buying raw karambwan from Tiadeche and 1-tick cooking them on a fire offers the fastest Cooking experience. However, this method is very click-intensive and can be hard to do consistently for long periods of time. It also requires using another account to light the fires, as having logs in the inventory and getting more would significantly lower experience rates, which would make this method not worth doing over other methods.
To be able to cook karambwan thoroughly and to gain access to Tiadeche's stall, players must have completed Tai Bwo Wannai Trio quest. Players will also need to store their items at an Item Retrieval Service for more inventory space, although 25 empty inventory spaces for the karambwan is sufficient.
This method goes as follows:
- Buy a full inventory of raw karambwan from Tiadeche, hop worlds for more stock.
- During the last world hop, light a fire inside Tiadeche's hut on the alternative account.
- 1-tick cook the karambwan by manually using them on the fire and holding down 2.
- Drop the karambwan, and repeat the process.
Experience rates scale depending on the Cooking level. Long-term rates vary depending on performance, how fast the fish are dropped, and world switching speed. With good performance, it is possible to gain up to around 380,000–400,000 Cooking experience per hour at level 99. Without tick manipulation, players can gain up to 190,000 Cooking experience per hour at level 99. This method costs around 0.7–1.4 coins per experience depending on the burn rate.
Levels 68–99: Making jugs of wine from noted grapes[edit | edit source]
An alternative training method is to use noted grapes to make jugs of wine. While this is not faster than cooking karambwan or training at the Hosidius Mess, it is considerably easier and less click-intensive. The method also allows training Fletching at the same time at a slight cost in experience rates. For example, while waiting for wine to ferment, it is possible to make about 100 broad arrows (10 sets of 10) before dropping the jugs of wine and making more.
For this method, players will need to store their items at an Item Retrieval Service for more inventory space. Players will also need to have completed Dream Mentor to be able to cast Humidify. While jugs can be manually filled with water at a water source, this is a lot slower and thus not recommended. It is also recommended to have completed Swan Song to gain access to Arnold Lydspor's general store in Piscatoris Fishing Colony, so players can sell the wines instead of dropping them. If fletching broad arrows or headless arrows, having the rune pouch is strongly recommended to be able to make 11 jugs of wine per inventory.
To start off, unnote 11 empty jugs at Arnold Lydspor, and cast Humidify to fill them with water. After that, this method goes as follows:
- Unnote 11 grapes.
- Use the grapes on the jugs of water to make 11 unfermented wine.
- Unnote 11 empty jugs and cast Humidify to fill them with water.
- While waiting for the wine to ferment, fletch some broad arrows.
- Once the wine has fermented, sell the jugs of wine to the general store.
- Repeat the process.
Players can gain up to 200,000 Cooking experience per hour, while also gaining up to 300,000 passive Fletching experience per hour as well. Without fletching players can get up to 280,000 cooking experience per hour.
For more information, see Ultimate Ironman Guide/Fletching.
Other methods[edit | edit source]
Levels 30–65/80: Frankie's Fishing Emporium[edit | edit source]
Buying fish from Frankie's Fishing Emporium and cooking them on a nearby range is a slower but easier alternative to the Hosidius Mess at lower levels. This method costs some money, and the amount of money spent depends on the type of fish cooked. Most notable among the sold fish are raw cod and raw bass, which are sold at a far lower price per experience compared to other fish. Raw tuna also provides competitive experience rates with low costs.
For this method, player will need to have 100% favour in Port Piscarilius to gain full access to Frankie's stock. Having a decent Agility level and wearing the graceful outfit is also recommended, as this method involves a lot of running.
This method goes as follows:
- Start at Frankie's Fishing Emporium and buy a full inventory of your chosen fish.
- Run west to the building with two ranges; the westernmost of the two is slightly faster to run to.
- Cook all your fish
- Run east to the general store and sell your inventory.
- Return to Frankie's Fishing Emporium, hopping worlds before purchasing more fish.
Experience rates are shown in the table below. The table assumes 850 fish are cooked per hour, although up to 900 fish can be cooked per hour when paying attention.
|Fish||Level||XP||Burn level||Price (×27)||Sold (×27)||Net cost (×27)||GP per XP||XP per hour|
|Raw cod||18||75||52||−294||60||−234||-0.12||63,750 at 52|
|Raw tuna||30||100||64||−1,210||281||−929||-0.34||85,000 at 64|
|Raw bass||43||130||80||−1,210||281||−929||-0.26||110,500 at 80|
Note: If below the level required to cease burning a fish, experience rates will be lower and net costs slightly increased, varying with cooking level.
Levels 80–99: Minnow fishing[edit | edit source]
Passive training: Barbarian Fishing[edit | edit source]
Barbarian Fishing can offer some passive Cooking experience. Cutting leaping fish successfully gives a small amount of Cooking experience along with its usual byproducts. Some players using tick manipulation to quickly train Fishing using this method will cut every fish they catch, which can give a significant amount of Cooking experience in the long term.
For each 100,000 Fishing experience earned through Barbarian Fishing, the player should expect around 9,000 Cooking experience if they are cutting every fish. If training with Barbarian Fishing up to level 99 Fishing, this can amount to over one million Cooking experience in total.
|Ultimate Ironman Guides|